Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Hearth - Drop Off to Fireplace Floor?

Posted by lisaslists2000 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 28, 09 at 9:21

Ok, I had no idea how to search for this,so if someone has a thread they want to refer me to, that would be fine, lol.

I'm going to reface my brick floor to (very high - cathederal)ceiling fireplace with little slate subway tiles 1/2 way up, then put a mantle (will be asking about that later), then finish top with stucco and paint wall color. I am going to put a slab of slate on the raised hearth. The hearth is 4 bricks high (a little more than a foot) off the floor.

Is it going to be less "professional" or less attractive to have the slab of slate not even with the firebox floor? Should I remove the top layer of brick on the hearth? Are there potential negatives to removing the top layer of brick?
my fireplace hearth

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks for any assistance! If every step of my full house remodel is going to be this intricate and frought with questions, y'all will get to know me well, and I may never get done. Been mentally working on this for months already!

Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Hearth - Drop Off to Fireplace Floor?

It's not a problem to raise the hearth above the firebox floor. In fact, in many installations it is purposely done that way to help keep the ashes in the firebox - it also makes it easier to sweep any embers or ashes back into it. In addition, in looking at your pictures it will probably be a tough job to take the top bricks off and you might find some surprises underneath them when you do. If it were me I'd leave them and put the slab on top.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here