Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weary of Research, Please Tell Me What to Do

Posted by kaib (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 10 at 6:50

We will soon start an extensive remodel - and I'm just plain burnt out on research (ya'll know how that goes) btw. kitchen, floors, windows, roof and all the rest.

Anyway, would you please tell me what to do with a fireplace. It will go into the gable end (simple one story ranch), new construction, 400 sqft room which is open to another "great" room (the current LR/kitchen). We have a great mason, and prices here are reasonable.

I'm concerned that a new design high eff unit might be too hot - as the fireplace will be used for looks and ambiance most of the time (we do get ice storms, are rural and can loose power, but after one year or so, we will have a whole house backup genset).

1) Is a prefab unit (quality) going to last 25 years
2) Is a prefab hi eff unit going to be too warm
3) Would the cost diff btw a "real" fireplace vs. a prefab (with masonry chimney, hearth and all) be worth it.
4) Would a pre fab unit provide greater energy savings during the time it is not being used (draft protection summer and non fire winter).
5) Any suggestions for units would be wonderful (i.e. tell me what to buy)

Thanks in advance for doing my work for me.

Kai

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weary of Research, Please Tell Me What to Do

You want a fire for looks only?
You're not looking at heating your home with it?

Then a prefab will do the trick quite nicely. And why not have a gas log set too? That way it won't get 'too hot' and you'll have the looks of a real fireplace without the cost and hassle of a masonry unit.

A real fireplace is actually a heat loser. More household heat will go up the chimney in a fireplace than a stove. So having a gas unit with doors on it should suit you just fine.

o
RE: Weary of Research, Please Tell Me What to Do

I would go with a direct vent gas fireplace. They are very efficient and cost effective. There are many different makes and styles to choose from. The one brand that i really like is Heat N Glo. I installed fireplaces in Phoenix, AZ for 7 years and that is probably the number 1 brand that i installed and was asked for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here