Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any suggestions for a mantle around this insert

Posted by mchaney1 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 08 at 0:24

I want to do something with this fireplace to try to lighten the room. Any ideas on what to do. I posted this elsewhere and got great ideas. The only problem is that I am unsure if I can paint the surround and place a mantel around it. Or can I take away the surround and do something else with it. Please help. I am confused, as usual :-)

This is what I have now...

These were ideas given to me. The only problem is in the photo shopped pics the surround was removed. Is it possible to remove the surround and do something else?

Please let me know what you think. Thanks so much!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any suggestions for a mantle around this insert

You can replace the surround with anything that is non-combustible such as tile, brick, marble, stone, etc. Probably this least expensive and least disruptive thing you could do is to paint the cast iron surround a different color. (I assume it's cast iron -- maybe it's powder coated sheet metal made to look like cast iron.)

If you decide to paint the existing surround, you obviously have to make sure you use paint that is compatible with the high heat environment of the surround.

If you want to install a mantile that surrounds the existing iron surround to sort of "dress it up", you could do that and then you would have a more traditional looking fireplace. That additional surround MIGHT be combustible like wood IF the specs for the insert show that you have enough clearance. If you need a little more clearance, you can install tile over the brick as a surround around the existing metal surround and then put in the wood mantle around that. If you did that, your fireplace would look similar to ours, although our gas insert is from a different manufacturer. How do you like yours, by the way, does it give nice cozy heat?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here