Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
archsteve_gw

Mantis Fireplace Insert--Very efficient, but is it good?

archsteve
13 years ago

Hi all,

Apparently Mantis Fireplace inserts are a fairly new product, and have a high efficiency (natural gas) rating. I am very tempted to get one, but I cannot find many reviews out there. Anybody know anything about them?

http://www.gas-space-heater.com/empire-mantis.html

Thanks!

-Steve

Comments (11)

• willinak
    13 years ago

Bump for more information!

• jph1
    13 years ago

Your in luck.

My company JUST installed 6 Mantis firpelaces into a condo complex in Denver, CO.

I have to admit that these little guys are the ticket. Talk about kick butt.

They are somewhat easy to install, but, the product is totally cool and from what I hear (these are just finished) are very efficient.

Please contact me for more information and I can also offer pricing through my company to see what kind of pricing you can get.

You can't go wrong with these fireplaces.

• willinak
    13 years ago

jph1, if you will either update your profile to include email from members, or send me your info, I'll get in touch! Also in Colo.

• califhouse
    13 years ago

jph1, I'm wondering if you got the feeling Mantis will take the wear and tear of very frequent use in those 6 condos. For example I hear that the very highest efficiency regular forced-air furnaces have more service calls than the 2nd tier efficient units. I love the idea of using Mantis as primary heat in a zone but in an advanced condensing design like Mantis I am a little nervous something will need service sooner or later. Like is it a small condo where this is the main heat source (frequent use) or a big condo where there is also central forced air maybe only occasional use if it's in a formal living room), or...

• willinak
    13 years ago

The word I'm getting is early adopters had some issues with their units, however the company seems to have made some changes which resolved most of them.
    I would, however, like to hear from some actual users!

• Steve A
    5 years ago

I'm an actual user. I live in a coastal city, and bought a townhome with an Empire Mantis fireplace. Many of my neighbours have had issues with theirs, and mine has quit operating completely - this is after extending its life a little with a brand new motherboard. While these units have been touted for being very good at heating a space, and being efficient, I can corroborate reports that the units are very noisy and problematic (e.g., the water pump failed resulting in a great deal of moisture leaking beneath my floor, damaging the wood). Empire provided a little support in early days, but have since stopped manufacturing these units and their parts. Few service centres are willing to work on these units, so we're looking at options for replacement.

• John Willi
    5 years ago

Thanks Steve, mine is still working ok, albeit noisy. I think it's just too complicated, and everything has to work right to function correctly.

Sad to hear Empire has bailed, because there's not much out there that I could use in the space that's available. What are you going to use in its place?

• PRO
    harmonious Architecture
    5 years ago
    Good in theory- problems with venting and the u it will sometimes not turn on (depending on which way the wind is blowing). Nothing but problems, but is great when it actually works. I’m trying to find a replacement unit, nothing fits with my GRANITE one piece surround. If anyone finds a replacement unit of similar size please post!!!!
  • John Willi
    5 years ago

This thread is depressing! For me, this was an expensive installation, and may be an even more expensive R&R. Lets all keep in touch regarding alternative solutions!

Thanks,

John

• John Willi
    3 years ago

Well, you knew this would happen...totally quit. What have you users found as a replacement? The near zero vent will likely be the most difficult to find.

• Norma Simpson
    2 years ago

We have a Mantis that heats our entire house very efficiently (it's a very small house) and we LOVE it. Getting service, however, has proved to be impossible. Only need it for cleaning and getting ready for winter BUT we simply can't find anybody and don't have the expertise to do it ourselves.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!