Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rebuilding/replacing fireplace facade?

Posted by karinnew (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 23:31

Hi, everyone. We bought our first home a year ago, gutted both levels, and have used the wealth of information from this forum countless times over the course of many projects. However, I'm a little stumped with our fireplace problem. I've recently tried contacting a few local fireplace companies, but haven't received any response.

We had to remove the brick facade on the wood-burning fireplace in our basement due to mold/water damage and installing a new drain tile system. We are looking at the most cost-effective solution given the scope of all our projects. Right now the rest of the room has been rewired, framed, and finished, aside from the fireplace and flooring installation. Where the fireplace facade was, it is now flush with the basement block walls. We still have the original metal front/doors. I went to the local fireplace insert store, and their quote was at least $4000 for their bottom-end insert installation (which included the current $800 groupon!). Can anyone point me in the right direction on what we could do? What would be a good, cost-effective way to "frame out" the fireplace (perhaps reusing the old door)? Is this something we could do ourselves or should we leave it to the pros?

We would probably want a very simple/modern/minimalist facade. I attached a picture of the original and a more recent picture showing the hole in the wall that currently exists. I would greatly appreciate any ideas or information, since we are stumped. Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rebuilding/replacing fireplace facade?

I'm a little confused.... did you remove the lining/insert that was there existing? Or are you just replacing the facade?

I recently had a fireplace essentially torn back to a "pile of bricks" and the original lining. My GC had a mason rebuild the surrounding frame out of concrete block. On top of that, he built out some some wood paneling and they tiled around the surround. (I wandered into the forum as I've now got to put some sort of screening or covering on the opening).

Overall, though, it was not inexpensive.

o
RE: Rebuilding/replacing fireplace facade?

There was no insert to begin with, but we just removed the facade. I actually just got off the phone with a company who is going to do an inspection, and then tell us how we can finish it on our own to save labor costs. Thanks for the response!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here