Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karinnew_gw

Rebuilding/replacing fireplace facade?

karinnew
10 years ago

Hi, everyone. We bought our first home a year ago, gutted both levels, and have used the wealth of information from this forum countless times over the course of many projects. However, I'm a little stumped with our fireplace problem. I've recently tried contacting a few local fireplace companies, but haven't received any response.

We had to remove the brick facade on the wood-burning fireplace in our basement due to mold/water damage and installing a new drain tile system. We are looking at the most cost-effective solution given the scope of all our projects. Right now the rest of the room has been rewired, framed, and finished, aside from the fireplace and flooring installation. Where the fireplace facade was, it is now flush with the basement block walls. We still have the original metal front/doors. I went to the local fireplace insert store, and their quote was at least $4000 for their bottom-end insert installation (which included the current $800 groupon!). Can anyone point me in the right direction on what we could do? What would be a good, cost-effective way to "frame out" the fireplace (perhaps reusing the old door)? Is this something we could do ourselves or should we leave it to the pros?

We would probably want a very simple/modern/minimalist facade. I attached a picture of the original and a more recent picture showing the hole in the wall that currently exists. I would greatly appreciate any ideas or information, since we are stumped. Thank you!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus