Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cost tor reduce size of fireplace mantle? is it worth it?

Posted by growingadvice (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 22:30

So I have a, in my opinion, overly large fireplace mantle in my living room. (I'm using the term mantle to refer to the brickwork around the fireplace, if the term is wrong, let me know)
The room itself is bowling alleyish in size: 12x24ft.

Because of the layout, the best place for a TV is above the fireplace. We've tried different placements over the years, but they just don't seem to fit the room ( at least to our taste).

House was built in 1991.

Unfortunately the fireplace mantle seems to be way bigger than it should be.

The fireplace opening is 27x32in. The mantle is 62.5in tall x 64in wide on a 94in high ceiling.

Does it seem overly big to you all as well?

Anyone have any experience in reducing the size of it?
If so, how expensive was it?

what you consider a more "normal" size?

thanks for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cost tor reduce size of fireplace mantle? is it worth it?

I'm no fireplace expert, but just had a much larger fireplace surround and firebox rebuilt.

The cost may vary by what is inside the firebox. Is it an insert? Is it brick? Is it concrete? The upper part of the surround may just be decorative, and attached to backerboard. If so, it will be less expensive to replace than a complete rebuild. If it is attached to the fireplace box itself (and the firebox), then it will get more expensive.

However, you can sometimes safely cover the upper portion with wood paneling.

Visually, it does look higher than it needs to be. Depending on the local codes, you only need 12 inches of noncombustible material around the box.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here