Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stove/Fireplace Help!

Posted by sloane529 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 21:01

We are remodeling a 1910 foursquare in WA state. Want fireplace (for look/feel of hearth and mantle - me)and wood-burning heat (for rare occasions when power's out - DH) in a new addition. Space is fairly small (stove will be in 200sqft room open to total 600sqft space, house is 2300sqft.). Heat pump as main heat source.

Options at this point are free standing wood stove (like Lopi Leyden - not my preference style-wise, I like the stove but not necessarily look of it free standing with stove pipe up to 8ft ceiling), wood stove in a hearth/fireplace (which may take up too much space), wood stove insert (like Lopi Republic or Hearthstone Clydesdale, but I do not like look of the black surround tiles), or something like the BIS Tradition CE. DH does not want fireplace xtrordinaire type wood burning fireplace due to concerns of inefficiency if fan's not running (when power's off) and not really needing it to heat our whole space with its positive pressure system. Is the BIS Tradition the same type thing? Any thought/recommendations appreciated. TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stove/Fireplace Help!

Go to www.hearth.com for a wealth of information about all aspects of wood stoves and fireplaces including owner reviews of every stove ever made.

o
RE: Stove/Fireplace Help!

One insert you might want to check out is the Pacific Energy Alderlea T5. It's surround is embossed and a bit more classic looking and more importantly Pacific Energy inserts are designed to be able to be run without the blower running all the time. I've included a link from a dealer in WA state.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Alderlea T5

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here