Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace codes in CA? Want to make it flush with the wall

Posted by ksmommy (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 24, 10 at 20:46

We are planning on taking out the ugly looking tiles that are around our fireplace by taking out the tile extension that creates a box sort around the fireplace opening. We want the fireplace flush to the wall. We dont want to keep the mantle either. We are replacing carpet with laminate flooring.
To make the flushed fireplace presentable,we will border it with granite(same width of the tile that are present now).
Are there any restrictions,codes that we need to keep in mind while doing this?
Do we need to extend the granite on the floor until a certain distance or having laminate floors at the opening of the fireplace ok?
Where can I look for the codes?
Suggestions appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireplace picture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace codes in CA? Want to make it flush with the wall

I'm not sure if you found your answer to this or not, but I'll try to help you if you haven't finished this project yet. Most gas fireplaces have a minimum clearance to conbustables. More than likely you have a gas fireplace that has a 1/2 to 1" clearance on the back, plus you have to consider the venting, does it vent straight out the back or does it vent verticle. If it vents out the back, you might not be able to move the f/p back any further. As for the front, as long as it's not a wood fireplace you should be fine finishing right up to the fireplace with whatever you want. Find out the make of your f/p and look for their website and they will give you an owners manual for your f/p that will give you all the f/p specs that you will need. I hope that this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here