Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacksimpson_gw

Outdoor fireplace smoking!

Jacksimpson
18 years ago

Hi. Wife and I just put in a nice little outdoor patio fireplace. It's one of those reclaimed 70's style acorn jobs. The firebox is about 12" up from the pavers and a firegrate is used for the firewood. The whole unit was built under a large pergola (at its edge) and the stove pipe projects about 4' above the top wood member. It is insulated where it passes through the structure. The pipe is 8" and is about 8' in total length -- from the top of the fireplace to the 10" chimney cap. There is an inpipe/flue damper and it is always wide open.

However, every time we light the fire it burns hot then dies to a very low flame. By then the fireplace starts to smoke us out and the only way of keeping it from smoking is to keep restarting the fire with a bag of kindling. In other words keeping the flame hot. My feeling is the draft is insufficient.

Aside from extending the chimney to the flight paths of the local aircraft, how else can we improve the updrafting?

Thanks, Jack.

Here is a web site that shows the fireplace: http://wfiles.jetirc.net/the_fireplace

Comments (9)

• Xanndra
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It doesn't sound unusual. These things don't draft well even under the best of conditions. You have to keep the fire hot. Fireplaces 101.

• Jacksimpson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the reply. The pictures don't really do the install justice. However, I did fix a section of double wall heavy guage metal to the pipe as it passes by the pergola upper structure (an air space of about 1.5")..with the pipe about 9" away from the wood beam. Also on that wooden beam, there is 1/4" rectangular piece of cement HardyPlank (type of house siding) extending the radius of the pipe and up and down. I've felt with my hand and it appears cool to the touch when the fire has been hot for some time. As for the "spark arrestor" I wrapped the inside of the cap insertion sleeve with 1/4" wire mesh to break up any sparking. Is there a better way to do this?
    Also, while on that subject, is there a way of making my own type of chimney cap that will move with the wind (I think folks call them Maiden Hats) -- away from the wind to keep any back smoking down? Jack

• Xanndra
    18 years ago

I've never seen a homemade wind cap, sometimes called directional caps. I used to sell some stainless steel ones made by the Mark Stevens company.

Your photos just look like the plants, furniture, trellis, etc. are all way too close to the piping.

• Jacksimpson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, I know. I think it's the lack of depth of field from the camera. The point in taking the pictures was to illustrate the actual structure of the chimney assembly to find a better solution to my back smoking problem. Jack

• jamesk
    18 years ago

It looks to me like the principal problem is the lack of an insulated flue. Not because of safety concerns, although safety does need to be considered, but because when the fire dies down, the flue cools off, and then won't draw.

I'll bet you could resolve the problem by installing either a double or triple-walled flue, which wouldn't cool down so quickly when the fire dies down. Better yet, you might want to consider insulated stainless steel flue, which would remain hot enough to continue to draw until the fire goes out. A cold flue simply will not draw.

Hope this helps.

• Jacksimpson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

An insulating flue is not in the cards for us now as we have already blown our budget for this rig. It's only an outdoor fireplace and insulated flues are really pricey in these parts ..not to mention stainless! Especially, 8 inch. Preheating the fire and building a large one is an idea we might adopt. But having a large fire may just cook us out of this patio! Anyway, I'm also now tending toward extending the chimney another 2 feet and perhaps replacing the cap with a wind resistant type. So it may be interesting in figuring out how to construct a directional chimney cap or a Monsoon type. Anyone with diagrams or pictures of (detail construction) examples? Thanks. Jack

• rawcmr
    18 years ago

Maybe this website will help you solve it or get more info

Here is a link that might be useful: Outdoor Fireplaces

• stainlesssteelpipe
    17 years ago

http://www.stainlesssteelpipe.net/
    Stainless Steel Pipe China Manufacturer Exporter,Stainless Steel Pipe china Manufacturer Exporter China Manufacturer Exporter,Stainless Steel Structure Pipe China Manufacturer Exporter,Stainless Steel Sanitary Pipe(Involve The Aquatic Products Pipe)China Manufacturer Exporter,Stainless Steel Boiler And Hot Permutater Pipe China Manufacturer Exporter,Stainless Steel Flange And Stainless Steel Valve China Manufacturer Exporter,Stainless Steel Liquid Transport Pipe China Manufacturer Exporter,Stainless Steel Pipe Fittings China Manufacturer Exporter,Stainless Steel Tube China Manufacturer Exporter,Stainless Steel Tube Fittings China Manufacturer Exporter,Stainless Steel Seamless Pipe China Manufacturer Exporter,Stainless Steel Seamless Tube China Manufacturer Exporter,Stainless Steel Seamless Sanitary Tube China Manufacturer Exporter,Stainless Steel Seamless Pipe Manufacturer &Supplier China Manufacturer Exporter,ASTM A 312 China Manufacturer Exporter,ASTM A269 China Manufacturer Exporter,ASTM A213 China Manufacturer Exporter,ASTM A51 1 China Manufacturer Exporter, ASTM A270 China Manufacturer Exporter, DIN 17458 China Manufacturer Exporter, DIN 17456 China Manufacturer Exporter, JIS 3459 China Manufacturer Exporter, JIS 3463 China Manufacturer Exporter, Stainless Steel Flange China Manufacturer Exporter, Hygienic Steel Pipe China Manufacturer Exporter, Finished Tubes China Manufacturer Exporter, Hygienic Steel Pipe China Manufacturer Exporter, Finished Tubes China Manufacturer Exporter, Hygienic Steel Pipe China Manufacturer Exporter, Stainless Steel Fitting China Manufacturer Exporter, Hygienic Steel Pipe China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Pressing Hoop China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Sanitary Quick-Install Quadruplet China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Sanitary Pipe Holder China Manufacturer Exporter, Stainless Steel Steel Pipe China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Sanitary Welded Triplet China Manufacturer Exporter, Stainless Side Steel Pipe China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Sanitary Quick-install Rubber Pipe Fitting China Manufacturer Exporter, Finished Pipe China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Silicon Llatgex Pad China Manufacturer Exporter, Mirror Surface Steel Pipe China Manufacturer Exporter, Hygienic Steel Pipe China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Sanitary Quick-Install Bolck China Manufacturer Exporter, The Hygienic Level Rapid Installation Lives The Attachment China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Sanitary 90 Elbow Of Welded China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Double Sanitary Hoop China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Sanitary Quick-Install Screwed Fitting China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Sanitry Butterfly Valve Of Three-Pices China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Sanitary Quick-Install U Quick China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Sanitary Quick-Install U Quick China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Sanitary Quick-Install Homocentric Fluctuant Diameter China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Sanitary Quick-Install Style 90 Elbow China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Sanitary Fluctuant Diamater Way Of Welded China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Stell Sanitary Welded Clapper Valve China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Sanitary Ball Valve Without Stayed Liquid China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Sanitary Quick-Install Clapper Valve China Manufacturer Exporter, Stainless Steel Health Level Three Piece Of Types Reed Valves China Manufacturer Exporter, Staniles Steel Sanitary Commutation Diaphragm Valve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stainless Steel Pipe

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County