Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help on wood stove choice- lopi vrs scan

Posted by twocents (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 08 at 19:25

looking to purchase a wood stove for our home in Maine - won't be only heat source - but clearly hoping to use our oil furnace as little as possible.

The heated portion of the house is approx. 1300 sf. but the downstairs portion tha is primary concern is about 900 sf.

We are looking at the lopi republic 1750 - and the scan anderson 10. My husband is concerned that the scan is not be large enough and i am concerned that the size of the 1750 will make the room where we are installing the stove feel dwarfed.

am new to the forum AND wood stoves - so thanks in advance for advice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help on wood stove choice- lopi vrs scan

Unless your house has too much insulation for your climate it is always best to oversize your stove. Remember you can always build a small fire in a bigger stove but not the other way around.

The only manufacturer I would avoid is Vermont Castings.

Hopefully you already have a cache of fully seasoned firewood. If not the performance of the stove will be disappointing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here