Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajd4909

raised concrete fireplace hearth

ajd4909
16 years ago

I have a 1970 dark red brick fireplace. The real problem is the hearth, which is a slab of concrete shelf one foot off the ground. Obviously, the firebox is one-foot up, too. Has anyone dealt with such a hideous feature in their fireplace remodel? How? We plan to put a traditional white mantel/wall over the existing brick (with some brick showing around the firebox), and flanking white painted bookcases. The room's ugly wood panelling is now painted pale yellow.

Comments (7)

• ventupete
    16 years ago

You can cover it with a non-combustible material like brick or stone, or even paint it. The other option is to have it jack-hammered out. Of course, that means you will still have a raised firebox and will have to have a non-combustible material put on the floor level hearth and under the firebox. As an aside, make sure that you don't install any combustible material within 8 to 12 inches (depending on your local building code) from the sides and top of the firebox opening. It's a fire danger and is against Code.

• whoooooooooosh
    16 years ago

I had one of those! I got rid of most of it but kept just the hearth. I'm laying travertine over it.

Are you positive that it's solid concrete? Mine was concrete covering breeze blocks. So it was easy to hammer out. Just a tad dusty!

Good luck

• bkcwzy
    16 years ago

I have a floor to ceiling brick fireplace that is painted white. The hearth is 9" high. I need to tear down the hearth. It doesn't work with a toddler trying to "help" a crawling 8 month old. Tried babyproofing it, but no adhesive lasts that is eventually removable. Any suggestions what to do with this thing. I don't want to rip out the hearth and end up just put tile on the floor and it looking like crap, but I've got to do something soon. Thanks for any tips and suggestions.

• stacylu
    16 years ago

We have something similar and are trying to figure out what to do... We just installed a gas insert and are planning on a new mantle soon. We also want to keep the brick but don't feel that we can tile over the concrete slab thing without it looking strange. We're thinking about a slab of granite since ours is open underneath.

• jessie21
    14 years ago

I get a prize because I have 2 of them! One in the living room is a gas fireplace with concrete mantle and raised hearth and the brick is peachy/orangy. Previous owners built this and it's been mine for 15 years. I've not loved it for a long time but have made due. It's also in the middle of the room and the back of it messes up my kitchen and dining room colors...oh well, it's clean.

In the basement family room, I have a wood burning one with the same sort of concrete mantle and hearth......they made them look like stone like stacy's. The brick down there is blond and I hate it and am thinking of painting the whole thing. Right now I'm leaning toward starting with painting the concrete first and then seeing how I feel. I'm frozen....kind of scared to act. But I do have a pointless little way too high shelf made out of that concrete ....It's so high that nobody can see the top so I think I'll experiment with that first.

• jessie21
    14 years ago

sorry!!

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH