Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DV Stove for basement?

Posted by cande (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 17:06

Hey guys, we are looking at installing a LOPI DV gas stove in our finished basement (just under 500 sq ft). The previous owners did a great job finishing the basement but it is constructed in a manner that a door can't really be installed on the stairway. Without a door, is installing the stove and trying to heat our basement useless? We'd really like to make use of it but it is cold down there in the winter and space heaters aren't too effective. Thanks Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DV Stove for basement?

We have a gas DV fireplace insert in our living room. It gets pretty warm near the fireplace. We keep the thermostat about 10 feet from the fireplace and it automatically turns it on and off to maintain the temp setting.

I think that for a room your size, you need to take into account the fact that these DV devices throw off a lot of heat, but do not distribute it very effectively. So the farther away you are from the unit, the cooler it would be. You might want to make sure the unit you select comes with a blower. If you can, check out the blower, because some of them are pretty noisy. We never use ours for that reason, but we don't need it.

I'm tempted to say you should consider 2 small units instead of one big one, so you'll get better heat distribution. But that might be overkill. A lot depends on the shape of the room, the location of the stairwell relative to the stove, etc. If the room is pretty square, a centrally located unit will probably work, provided it's not too close to the stairwell, which might draw the heat up and out the room. But if the room is long and narrow, 2 units would probably be optimal.

I hope these comments are helpful. Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here