Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas Fireplace exterior vent - can I paint the protective cage?

Posted by marysdottir (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 16:39

My gas fireplace has a direct vent on the wall outside of my living room. We have just turned that outside area into a patio and suddenly the aluminium protective cage that surrounds my fireplace vent is an eyesore. I thought if I painted the cage to match the wall colour, it would be less annoying but I don't want to do anything unsafe.

I can't find my installation manual (we didn't install it so why would I know where this is?) and the fireplace store that installed it says to check that manual. They also said to call my local gas inspector but I am sure that will be an ordeal getting through to anyone and having someone actually make a decision could take forever.

Does anyone know if I can use high heat paint on the aluminium cage safely?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas Fireplace exterior vent - can I paint the protective cage

you can, it will most likely discolor if you use house paint. If it were me, I would go and buy Stove Bright brand paint at your local fireplace shop. get a color that closely matches (perhaps almond) and paint it with that. They come in spray cans and there are quite a few colors to choose from. Its quality high heat paint and will be the safest thing to use.

o

Thanks so much, inlandfireplace, for your reply. I have been on holiday and didn't have computer access, or I would have thanked you earlier.

Almond paint sounds like a great idea. I will buy some this afternoon!

o

Hi there, I have a related question regarding my exterior gas fireplace vent and it's protective cage / cover.

I am looking to place a storage shelter ( one of these tents that people use to store cars or boats etc ) in the area of this vent / cage / cover.

Due to the space available, the tent ( canvas or vinyl ) might be very very close or even touch the cage / cover.

Problem you think?

Thanks very much!

o

All fireplace manufacturers have a specific clearance to combustibles when it comes to exhaust vents and their position relative to things like shrubbery and adjacent walls, etc.. You will need to look in the owner's manual for your specific Fireplace model and see what the manufacturers requirements are for something combustible near the vent. If you cant find it, let me know what the model is ( should be located on the unit, or under the unit on a card or sticker) and Ill research it for you.

James

o

Stupid question: isn't that vent an INTAKE vent and not an "exhaust vent". Thus putting something right up against the protective cage would be OK -- does it really get hot? My house doesn't have one, so I have no experience.

o

Most gas built in fireplaces are direct vent. Their exhaust cap also has the intake as part of the cap. If it looks similar to the above poster's picture, then it will get hot. If In Doubt, always check the owners manual for your specific appliance.

o

Most gas built in fireplaces are direct vent. Their exhaust cap also has the intake as part of the cap. If it looks similar to the above poster's picture, then it will get hot. If In Doubt, always check the owners manual for your specific appliance.

o

o

Sorry for the extra posts. My phone went crazy :)

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here