Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marysdottir

Gas Fireplace exterior vent - can I paint the protective cage?

marysdottir
10 years ago

My gas fireplace has a direct vent on the wall outside of my living room. We have just turned that outside area into a patio and suddenly the aluminium protective cage that surrounds my fireplace vent is an eyesore. I thought if I painted the cage to match the wall colour, it would be less annoying but I don't want to do anything unsafe.

I can't find my installation manual (we didn't install it so why would I know where this is?) and the fireplace store that installed it says to check that manual. They also said to call my local gas inspector but I am sure that will be an ordeal getting through to anyone and having someone actually make a decision could take forever.

Does anyone know if I can use high heat paint on the aluminium cage safely?

Comments (16)

• inlandfireplace
    10 years ago

you can, it will most likely discolor if you use house paint. If it were me, I would go and buy Stove Bright brand paint at your local fireplace shop. get a color that closely matches (perhaps almond) and paint it with that. They come in spray cans and there are quite a few colors to choose from. Its quality high heat paint and will be the safest thing to use.

• marysdottir
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much, inlandfireplace, for your reply. I have been on holiday and didn't have computer access, or I would have thanked you earlier.

Almond paint sounds like a great idea. I will buy some this afternoon!

• JOELHUNT
    10 years ago

Hi there, I have a related question regarding my exterior gas fireplace vent and it's protective cage / cover.

I am looking to place a storage shelter ( one of these tents that people use to store cars or boats etc ) in the area of this vent / cage / cover.

Due to the space available, the tent ( canvas or vinyl ) might be very very close or even touch the cage / cover.

Problem you think?

Thanks very much!

• inlandfireplace
    10 years ago

All fireplace manufacturers have a specific clearance to combustibles when it comes to exhaust vents and their position relative to things like shrubbery and adjacent walls, etc.. You will need to look in the owner's manual for your specific Fireplace model and see what the manufacturers requirements are for something combustible near the vent. If you cant find it, let me know what the model is ( should be located on the unit, or under the unit on a card or sticker) and Ill research it for you.

James

• cebury
    10 years ago

Stupid question: isn't that vent an INTAKE vent and not an "exhaust vent". Thus putting something right up against the protective cage would be OK -- does it really get hot? My house doesn't have one, so I have no experience.

• inlandfireplace
    10 years ago

Most gas built in fireplaces are direct vent. Their exhaust cap also has the intake as part of the cap. If it looks similar to the above poster's picture, then it will get hot. If In Doubt, always check the owners manual for your specific appliance.

• inlandfireplace
    10 years ago

Most gas built in fireplaces are direct vent. Their exhaust cap also has the intake as part of the cap. If it looks similar to the above poster's picture, then it will get hot. If In Doubt, always check the owners manual for your specific appliance.

• inlandfireplace
    10 years ago

• inlandfireplace
    10 years ago

Sorry for the extra posts. My phone went crazy :)

• inlandfireplace
    10 years ago

• Uli Cooling
    8 years ago

Where can I order a safety cage for my vent

• David Jarboe
    8 years ago

I second the question.

• Terri Kotula
    6 years ago

WHERE DO I FIND ONE OF THESE COVERS FOR MY VENT????

• Marvin Reece
    6 years ago

This is a link I found that my be helpful for protective vent screens.

http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/brochures/HHT-1056U.pdf

• marysdottir
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Marvin. I still haven't painted my ugly cage/screen/cap. These options are opening up a whole new world of possibilities. Maybe the trick is waiting until the right product is invented! I will be exploring these ones. Thank you for posting them.