Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help me decide (with pictures)

Posted by vo2max (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 15:52

I am demoing a tile hearth on my fireplace and then am installing hearth / stacked stone. I cannot decide on how "wide" to install the stacked stone to the left and right of the fireplace opening (the hearth will remain the same size regardless). Currently, the fireplace sits out about four inches from the wall and the current left and right surround is only four inches wide (beyond the gas fireplace frame). So, I will build out the current surround (so that it also sits four inches from the wall) but I am unsure how wide to make it.

The wider pictures shows a mockup if I would extend the surround out to almost the width of the hearth and the "box" that is above the fireplace. The hearth and the "box" extend eight inches from the wall, so the left and right surround will not be the same depth.

The narrower picture shows a mockup if I were to extend the surround to just four inches from the edge. That is the same width as the black frame on the left and right side (frame) of the fireplace.

Any thoughts? I think the narrower choice would be a safer decision. But the wider choice could be a bigger/bolder statement.

Thanks! And please excuse the mess. ;)

Version 1 : Wide

Version 1

Version 2 : Narrow

Version 2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help me decide (with pictures)

Although this is probably not what you want to hear, I think either one looks fine (although if I had to choose I'd pick the wider one)- however, what bothers me is that you have no stone and mantel above the opening, or is that just the rendering? IMHO, it looks out of proportion not to have the stone above the opening too - looks like something is missing.

o

I agree that it looks odd without anything above the fireplace. I didn't expect to, but I kind of like the smaller surround better. It's hard to tell from the picture how big your room is, but if it's not that big a full-width surround might seem overpowering. But either way that stone is going to be beautiful.

o

i think either one is fine but I slightly prefer the narrower one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here