Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggest a matle for this unfinished Gas Fireplace?

Posted by queentasha (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 08 at 15:51

Can someone suggest a surround idea for this gas fireplace? It's doublesided, the other side is the family room. This side is the great room and I plan to make it a cozy space with dark furniture, although the trim in the room is white and I think I'd like a white wood mantle.
Photobucket

and another view
Photobucket

Note that this is not my furniture, these photos are the previous owner's furniture. They have it separated into two separate spaces. We plan to have it as one big warm sitting area with some dark leather couches, large chairs, and we plan to use the space for game nights, entertaining, etc. The painting on the wall would not be there, nor would the screen, dining room table, etc. I'd appreciate any advice to draw the eye to the fireplace and add to the warmness I plan on instilling in this room. Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggest a matle for this unfinished Gas Fireplace?

I like the black surround that's fitted around the firebox, but the wood frame around the black surround looks out of place. It's the wrong color and the wrong size. I would opt for a darker color wood that's 8-10 inches wide on the sides and maybe 10-12 inches wide above. It could have some kind of etching or design that blends with your decor. I would try to use a sort of neutral design that goes with any decor because fireplaces are usually seen as "permanent" and hard to change.

Instead of dark wood, another option might be satin finish black cast iron or powder-coated steel that looks like cast iron.

A good carpenter can build a wooden surround for you -- or you can buy one on the web if you shop around carefully and find one that will fit right. A metal fabricator will be more costly. The challenge will be to find a really competent installer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here