Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Converting wood fireplace chimney to gas top vent

Posted by kookykitty (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 15:49

Hi all. I have a gas fireplace that was converted from a wood burning fireplace before I bought my house. When they converted it they just kept the old wood burning chimney stack and vented the gas fireplace through it (at least that's what I think they did, since there are no other external vents we can find for it). We want to keep the gas fireplace, but the old chimney stack is extremely unsightly and is on the front side of the roof for all to see. We want to get rid of the chimey stack and replace it with a vent. But we know nothing of this process. Can anybody shed any light on this conversion? Can we do this ourselves? Do we need to pass a building code inspection? How much will it cost? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Converting wood fireplace chimney to gas top vent

You would need first to determine the specs for the gas unit -- what kind of exhaust does it need, what dimensions, etc. The old chimney for the wood burning fireplace probably exceeded the minimum standard needed for the gas logs. Once you know exhaust needs of the gas logs, you can then proceed with the next step, figuring how to deal with the ugly chimney. I have a feeling that taking it down and replacing it will be a very messy, costly project. If you know that the chimney works fine for the gas logs you have in place, consider the possibility of covering the ugly exterior of the chimney with something new that will harmonize with the style of the house. Something like Hardiplank might work. There are several brands of the Hardiplank type product, so you can shop around to pick the one that suits you best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here