Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
keeping firewood dry

Posted by lakeyjim (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 15:44

I've got 2 cords in racks getting read for next winter. In past years I've put a tarp over both racks but it limits air circulation to dry. I want some kind of cover higher up. I did have a light frame covered with plastic and hooked to under the eave in years past but it flapped in the wind too much.

I want to attach a 4 x 8 "something" that is removable with the existing hooks and slope down to run off rain while allowing air above the wood. There are gutters on the eave (new since last year. Together with he eave, it will stick out about 5 1/2' which will overlap the 4' deep wood rack.

Plywood or OSB would work but both will need something to protect it from the weather. Felt and shingles would be ideal but be way too heavy. Anybody got an idea of some kind of 4 x 8 sheet that is rigid and waterproof? Oh and also cheap!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: keeping firewood dry

Here in Vermont we have woodsheds. They're usually made by the homeowners, so each one is different. Mine is 4 feet deep by 24 feet long by 5 feet high at the rear. It'll hold over 3 cords of wood for the stove.
I built the frame out of pressure treated wood and laid plywood down as a floor. I used 4x4s as the posts and used lattice as the walls to insure air plow. The roof has an overhang of 2 feet all around and slopes to the rear. I placed hooks along the front for a tarp if the weather is going to be wet. In winter it'll support 4 feet of snow when we get a storm. In summer I have prennial bushes surrounding it so it looks "pretty".

o
RE: keeping firewood dry

I think with your situation it appears you should extend a permanent structure off of the eave. It would probably be easiest to find plywood felt and shingles for little to no cost. Your other option is to use metal or fiberglass roofing. If money is an object look for the items on craigslist and be creative I seen structures built from free wood pallets and plywood felt and shingles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here