Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Repointing Stone Chimney

Laurie
11 years ago

I'm looking for general information on having my 97 year old stone chimney repointed. I'm in Northern New Jersey.

I was recently advised, when my fireplace was having work done on it, that within the next couple of years the chimney will need to be addressed.

It has obvious cracks in the masonry and I certainly do not want to wait until the stones are falling out as that will cost much more if the chimney will need to be rebuilt. I was quoted around $3-4K for the job, as it's time consuming, especially since it's stone, not brick.

Right now, it's stable.

The chimney company told me that it will not look quite like it does now when re-done, because they won't be able to match the color, being as old as it is, which does concern me. I have no experience in this, I've never seen a stone chimney rehabilitated before - only brick so I have no way to gauge what it will look like.

The stone, well I guess I would call it local "cobble" or river rock? Here's a couple of photos, not close up but it shows the foundation of the home which has the same stone, so maybe this will help.

Comments (5)