Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Masonry FP with old gas line

Posted by dave11 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 08 at 12:51

In the floor of my LR FP (built in 1951) there's the stub of a gas line coming up which appears to have been placed when the FP was built, presumably as a gas starter for wood fires. Now it’s soft and rusty, and could never be used. The pipe no longer connects to the main gas line in the basement.

My question is about replacing it. It seems to me that the pipe must run through a bed of mortar below the firebrick, and so to replace it, the bed of the firebox would have to be torn up. But I’m no expert on 1950’s masonry fireplaces.

And if it can’t be replaced, does that also mean that a new gas line cannot be placed to rise up into the firebox? I’ve heard that many older masonry FPs need gas lines run through exterior walls for this reason. I’m just trying to gauge the work needed to install a gas insert.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Masonry FP with old gas line

Assuming you are interested in a gas insert that will be energy efficient and produce serious heat, I do not believe you need to worry too much about the condition of the seal in the old masonry where the old gas pipe comes in.

Let's assume that this old gas pipe can be removed with minimal damage to the masonry, and a new one installed that will connect to a functioning gas line. Your insert will then be connected to the new gas line. The kind of insert I have in mind is one with DIRECT VENT technology. This insert is essentially a sealed firebox with 2 vents that go up the chimney, one to exhaust the fumes, and other to bring in fresh air to feed the combustion. Indoor air quality is unaffected.

Your insert will be a sealed firebox installed within the existing firebox. You will need a fireplace surround that will attractively cover the small empty space around the insert so it looks like it was there from Day 1. Most inserts come with such parts.

I would google "direct vent gas fireplace insert" to learn more about them. We bought one of these before last winter. It produces a lot of heat. I strongly recommend getting the hand held remote thermostat. Otherwise you'll either roast or turn the thing on and off repeatedly. Installation takes about a whole day and can be a little bit tricky. Make sure you go with an experienced installer with a proven track record. And be prepared to spend money -- ours cost over $4k.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here