Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayhawker_gw

antique stone fireplace mantel

jayhawker
17 years ago

we are building a new house and like the look of an antique stone fireplace mantel, but not the price attached to it. Does anyone have a suggestion for a resource. We live in Kansas City

Comments (3)

• reinhardt_ca
    17 years ago

Have you checked with your local building materials recyclers? In our area there are two large outfits that buy and sell "house parts". Their selection is by nature hit or miss, but they are considerably cheaper than antiques dealers or specialty outfits. If you go this route, its best to secure the mantel before you build the fireplace.

If you are willing to forgo the "antique", and settle for the look, you can try one of the "cast stone" manufacturers. The advantage here is availability - you can just order a stock mantel. Another advantage is weight - many of the cast stone products are made with lighter-weight aggregate and have voids cast into them to cut down on weight. Google "cast stone mantel". Check durability, though - some of these products have a thin veneer, and if they get chipped, they can look awful. Real stone develops a "patina" - synthetic materials may not.

A final option is to construct your own - a garden or landscape supply place will have a good selection of slabs of rock. I've used slabs for fireplace components in several projects to very good effect. The end result could be more rustic than what you might be looking for, though.

Good luck,
    Reinhardt
    quelle@homebedazzle.com

• leperrine
    15 years ago

Hey there Jay I see your interested In a Fire Place Mantel. My company Makes them we actually have developed a proprietary blend that nobody on the market has Its stronger and doesn't chip like other Mantels. We have serveral designs and colors if there is a design you are interested in just give me an email and we could work something out. also we have a 100% satisfaction Guarantee or your money back we also hand deliver and install all our products. I hope you get everything resolved and look forward to talking to you if you get the chance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stone Mantels

• leperrine
    15 years ago

Well I know a great company that has awesome prices you just need to call them up and you can work a deal out with them they are having a big sale for the holidays...and with the price they will deliver and install the Mantel now thats some good service lol.. here is the website: http://stonemantels.ruqqa.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Stone Mantels