Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pilot light not lighting on gas fireplace

Posted by Beyond_Reality (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 12:21

I hope someone on here can help me out. I bought a house and have a gas fireplace, I have no idea if it used to work as it was bank owned. It has a switch on the wall and underneath controls.

I cannot get the pilot light to light. The gas control knob is turned horizontal so I know that the gas line is on. If I hold down the pilot knob I can eventually smell gas. When I strike the ignitor button I do see a spark.

But no matter how long I hold it down or how many times I hit the button the pilot will not light. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pilot light not lighting on gas fireplace

Well, without seeing it I can only guess at some things.

1. have you tried a lighter at the pilot hood when you first push in on the pilot control knob to see if that works? (The pilot should be blue and strong, with no yellow tips) I say this because if it IS sparking, it could be that the electrode isnt in the correct position to properly ignite the gasses. Or your pilot supply line may not be tight at the bottom of the pilot assembly., causing a majority of the gas to come out below the pilot hood assembly. If it lights right up with a lighter at the pilot hood , then the ceramic ignitor just isnt throwing a long enough spark at the appropriate place on the pilot hood.

try that first, then we can troubleshoot more from there.

o

In my limited experience, gas fireplaces can be very temperamental. It depends on the kind you have. the diagnostics for a sealed direct vent system would differ from one that has an open chimney.

Having said that, sometimes you need to clear the gas line before lighting the pilot. That means holding the gas line open for about 60 seconds, then try to light the pilot. If it still does not go on, contact the gas company. That should be a free service call, to check to make sure the gas pressure is right.

If that does not work, maybe you should have a chimney guy look at it and give you an opinion.

o

Except... He said he smells gas. So no need to bleed it anymore. And direct vent, b vent, gas logs, whatever... It wouldn't matter. Gas ignition at the pilot, IS gas ignition at the pilot...And a "chimney guy" won't know where to find the gas valve, let alone the chimney half the time... Any questions, get a hold of me at my website inlandfireplace.com

James.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here