Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muckelroy

Installing fireplace insert into console stereo

muckelroy
11 years ago

This sounds crazy, and maybe it is. But I'm about to take home a vintage Magnavox console stereo from the 60s or 70s which doesn't work. If I can't easily get it working I would like to look into gutting it and somehow building an electric fireplace insert into the front and center of it. I'd also like to use the cavity space on either side as shelves to hold the living room TV electronics, as the TV is already mounted on the wall, and will be a couple feet above the console. The idea I have is similar to lots of fireplace consoles already on the market such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/Real-Flame-G1200E-B-Electric-Entertainment/dp/B00480FC60/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1342792977&sr=8-7&keywords=fireplace+console

I see tons of fireplace consoles on the market, and am wondering how hot the sides of an electric fireplace insert actually become, and what (if any) protecting or insulating material is needed on the sides and rear of the insert, to make it safe for a mounting situation? I have read the manual on several fireplace inserts. They all have precautions about keeping furniture at least 3 feet from the unit, but that doesn't make a lot of sense if they are often sold INSIDE furniture. Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you!

Comment (1)