Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing fireplace insert into console stereo

Posted by muckelroy (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 10:05

This sounds crazy, and maybe it is. But I'm about to take home a vintage Magnavox console stereo from the 60s or 70s which doesn't work. If I can't easily get it working I would like to look into gutting it and somehow building an electric fireplace insert into the front and center of it. I'd also like to use the cavity space on either side as shelves to hold the living room TV electronics, as the TV is already mounted on the wall, and will be a couple feet above the console. The idea I have is similar to lots of fireplace consoles already on the market such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/Real-Flame-G1200E-B-Electric-Entertainment/dp/B00480FC60/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1342792977&sr=8-7&keywords=fireplace+console

I see tons of fireplace consoles on the market, and am wondering how hot the sides of an electric fireplace insert actually become, and what (if any) protecting or insulating material is needed on the sides and rear of the insert, to make it safe for a mounting situation? I have read the manual on several fireplace inserts. They all have precautions about keeping furniture at least 3 feet from the unit, but that doesn't make a lot of sense if they are often sold INSIDE furniture. Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing fireplace insert into console stereo

If it helps, here's an image of the stereo. Sorry for the poor angling, and it will be without all the stuff on top.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here