Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amerphy

vented log set with outside air and sealed door - pipe dream?

amerphy
13 years ago

I am building a new house and having a lot of problems with the fireplace selection for the dining room. The heat is not the primary objective but good looks and air quality - are.

The house is being built fairly airtight so vent-less is not an option at all. Vented gas log set within traditional wood burning firebox sort of work, but people suggested to me that turning on a 1000cfm range hood can pull the bad stuff into the house unless fireplace is sealed off.

Natural choice should be a direct-vent gas fireplace, however most of the units I found were pretty large and put out a lot of heat. I can't imagine sitting anywhere within 5' of those things. There are some smaller units (less then 30k btu) but they don't look good to me. Vented gas logs on the other hand look fantastic!

I have searched, in vain, for a firebox that can be used with a gas log set, vented outside and that either comes with or can be fitted with a gasket-type locking sealed door.

I found a nice wood burning fireplace - BIS Tradition (http://www.securitychimneys.com/residential/fireplaces/BISTradition/) which has everything except it does not work with gas logs. Other BIS types they offer work with logs but do not offer airtight combustion chamber. Its like a conspiracy or something.

Maybe one of the resident experts can suggest something before I go mad.

Thanks a lot.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner