Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adh673

Seeking Fireplace Design Genuis

adh673
13 years ago

I am about to renovate all of my first floor and am wondering what to do with the fireplace. I will be adding a lot of molding to the house. Floors will change to wide plank american walnut distressed. The wood burning insert will stay (DH insists) but the brass accents are history. So, its red brick now, not awful but not exciting. The adjacent kitchen will be redone, creamy white inset cabinets, knotty alder island and hutch in a darker stain. Style is traditional, old world. The entryway will be arched- not sure how exactly. So- the question is: what the heck do I do with the fireplace? Should I stone it? Is stone too lodge like or too dark with the to-be dark floors? I could also just switch out brick with something similar to the backsplash but I dont know what that will be yet. Possibly a tumbled stone in subway tile or a irridesecent TINY glass tile that my husband is totally against as too modern looking but I love the sparkle. I dont have granite yet so I havent figured out the backsplash.

So I guess my options are:

1. nothing, clean it and leave it

2. stone to top

3. redo brick with stone or sparkley glass

The other thing is some people have suggested I put another window on the blank wall. I would be open except that is the only angle in the house where you look directly out to the neighbors house. So the view would be horrible but I guess I could put plantation shutters on it if its really terrible to be unbalanced...

I posted some photos- as is and some inpsirations.

Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Amys fireplaces

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions