Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I really need a log lighter?

Posted by bickybee (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 10 at 23:16

We are restoring/refacing the fireplace in our 1965 ranch house. The fireplace has a gas log lighter which we could remove at this point if we want.
The gas pipe of the log lighter runs along the center of the fireplace. There is a log holder over top of that which raises the fire off the floor of the fireplace. Coals fall through the grate onto the hearth below.

I want to occasionally cook in the fireplace by placing foods on the hearth in front of the fire. If the fire is raised off the floor of the hearth it won't be at the same level as the food.

I'm thinking I want to remove the gas log starter and the log holder so I can build the fire directly on the hearth.

Do you think I will miss the log starter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here