Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Critique my mantle! Help!

Posted by eastTXmeg (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 22:39

I can not figure out how to decorate my mantle for the life of me. I've tried a million different things arranged a million different ways. Please give suggestions/advice. The room is painted a light gray with white trim. My taste is a vintage-y/country/natural vibe. The sofa is cream colored and the room is accented with blues and natural material items with hints of gold thrown in. The art above the mantle will stay. I made it, therefore I love it and it doubles as a cover for two large sconce holes in the stone that I had to cover. My main dilemma is the dang outlet right in the center. You can see the plethora of items I've toyed with in the bottom of the picture. Any feedback is much appreciated!

*sorry if the picture is not oriented correctly! I am using my ipad to post this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Critique my mantle! Help!

IMO - your art is nice, but it gets lost in the stone. Have you thought of putting your art on another wall and leaning photos, a tall mirror, or, just leaning your art on the mantle? Are the sconce holes wired? Maybe lean your art on the mantle and wire two accent lights to shine down on the art.

o
RE: Critique my mantle! Help!

That looks nice up there, your art. And as you have indicated your intent to keep and the why is with good reason well....Plus I LOVE it!

I would likely do a scattering of natural things in black, brown, maybe a bright color in small fusion and fill things with wiry or natural woody kind of decor on that mantle. The old lookin' book is a yes, the old lookin' box is a yes, the gold candle thing is a yes...the rest no. Nothing too tall, and white is just distracting. And I think a small light of like a little tiffany mosaic something or other would look nice and hide that outlet while making use of it. What a nice fireplace :)

This post was edited by sasafras on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 21:46

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here