Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jawrig2292_gw

Holy 90's! Someone help!

JAWRIG2292
9 years ago

I just purchased a home and the fireplace screams late 90's. What can I do while maintaining the oak wood around it to modernize? What would look good to replace the old tile? Anyone have specific examples? I have no style, I just no that looks bad.

Comments (11)

• christopherh
    9 years ago

Wow, to a lot of us, the 90s was just a few years ago. I didn't realize it was antiquity.

• JAWRIG2292
    Original Author
    9 years ago

any suggestions??

• christopherh
    9 years ago

Personally, this old man who actually lived waaaayyy back in the 1990s thinks it's a timeless design and looks good just as it is.

• Linda
    9 years ago

I'm no expert, but I would lose the brass for sure. Either paint it black, or preferably silver. IMHO, the oak to me either screams "vintage", "rustic", or "90's". If you're not into a craftsman, vintage, or rustic look, I would personally prefer to paint it white. However, that is my personal opinion.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

Kill the brass, strain the oak darker if you really want to get adventurous....

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

It would help for us to know the overall vision for the house to know how to make the fireplace work within it.

• smoggy66
    9 years ago

I agree get rid of the gold on the stove part, that screams 90's more than anything. The oak is really nice, doesn't seem nicked or badly treated, if you like the look. I agree with legallin paint the fireplace surround white. Also I would pull off the two little rectangles on the front face of the fireplace surround as they look "dorky". This will give a cleaner look to the fireplace surround. Leave the oak trim on windows. You might consider painting the baseboards white also, to make them disappear into the wall color, this will visually expand the area.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

I will be installing a fireplace in the home we are building. Basement poured and actual building will begin in a week or so. I have done a LOT of research on fireplace surrounds , my advice for updating would be to paint it white and replace the tile with something darker. I agree, loose the metal on the front.
    Good luck!

• Tmnca
    9 years ago

I think it looks more 80's or maybe early 90's but yes, I think it looks a bit in need of help. Maybe post on the decorating forum for lots of ideas? I know you can paint that brass stuff with brass high heat (stove) paint... that's the first thing I'd do!

• DeRoseMatt
    9 years ago

I had the same exact doors. I took the doors off, taped the glass and sprayed Rustoleom High Heat in matte black. It looks great. I plan on ripping the old pre fab out in the future and put a stove with an alcove. But for now the matte black tones down the 90s bling.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH