Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sawmill

Our remodeled formerly brick fireplace

sawmill
17 years ago

We finally finished our fireplace re-do.

We started with floor to ceiling brick, original to the family room, with rosy pinkish tones set against the terra cotta floor. Not too cool.

We removed the brick and the raised hearth because it was too large in a small room. Next we covered the masonary with a mastic compound. We extended the 3" bumpout in front of the firebox to the entire width between the windows framing the fireplace. We put wallboard above the masonary line and painted the wall. We laid a soapstone slab for a hearthplate. When we installed the fireplace tile, we extended it across to the windows, rather than leaving exposed wall on either side as it was originally.

We installed gas logs, but we have not yet taken the time to solve the soot problem with them. Another day!

To see the fireplace progress. click on the link, then page to the right to see the changes within the album.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireplace in transition

Comments (10)

• avajen
    17 years ago

beautiful transformation!

• sawmill
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Avajen. We are enjoying the new materials and just trying to decide whether to install chain mesh "curtains" to soften the inner edges of the firebox or to leave it alone. We thought of a flat firescreen, but it is hard to find any without the feet extending beyond our modest 3" ledge.

• pdg777
    17 years ago

Nice! and very cozy -- just the way I like it!

• sawmill
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you, pdg777! The warm colors may be a bit overdone, but do add to a cozy feel. When the walls were all white, the space was very cold because of the 7 full length windows in the room. We've recovered the furniture, now have to repaint the coffee table, change the miniblinds and the breakfast table to complete the room.

• ranchreno
    17 years ago

Cozy was the exact term that came to my mind too as I was snooping through your gorgeous kitchen/family room pictures. What a beautiful home! You should be very proud of your work.

• sawmill
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your comments, ranchreno. It made me realize that I need to go back and re-photograph our black cabinets. They are out of focus in the album, but I was waiting for the wire door inserts to be installed to photograph them and completely forgot - a good weekend project.

• bkcwzy
    16 years ago

beautiful and you helped answer a problem we have. I was wondering what a fireplace would look like when the raised hearth was taken down. Which is exactly what we're about to do to minimize the injuries for the little ones. Thanks for the great pictures! =]

• long_todo_list
    16 years ago

WOW! The tile work really has me thinking... I'm in the middle of a similar project and I was planning on a plain tile surface. Also, you photos answer a question for me. I have a metal fire box that had vents beside it for circulating air to exchange heat. Taking the facing brick off the wall exposed large gaps in the masonry on the sides and top. I didn't know if I could put cement board all the way up to the fireplace opening to cover the gaps.

• kings
    16 years ago

First post folks, so be gentle!

IÂve also been planning and working on a Fireplace mantle and adjoining bookcases along one wall in my living room for some time now. I finally got around to installing tile over the yucky faux white-brick on the lower half and sheet rock over the top half of the faux brick.

One of the more difficult parts of this design was how to have built-in bookcases right up against the fireplace mantle (I didnÂt want to lose any bookcase room). Every photo IÂve seen of a fireplace has the shelf "crown" out to the sides as well as the front. I didnÂt want it to look "chopped-off".

Well, here is an interim photo of the fireplace. It was a much easier project than I had imagined it would be. The bookcases are next and more photos to come after they are installed.

While I don't have a "before" photo, you can see those ugly faux white-brick on the bottom of the hearth. Those too will be covered with a wooden box casing and trim.

Bare sheet rock is above and the bottom is an earth-tone tile I installed.

Mantle photo:
    http://i19.tinypic.com/67daeqh.jpg

Materials:
    Appleply plywood for case 3/4" thick.
    Various maple trim for fireplace "bling"
    Popular fireplace shelf braces (had trouble finding ones I wanted in maple, but these seem to pass inspection!).

Finish:
    Wood sealer (begins with a B, canÂt remember the name now).
    MinWax Golden Maple stain
    Varathane Polyurathane semi-gloss varnish (water-based) 5 coats!

Must have tools:
    Air brad gun! I about wet myself using it the first time. What a time saver!!
    Dewalt compound miter saw. 45* cuts on trim as easy as you can imagine.
    Good table saw (Ridgid TS3650) for ripping those full-sized plywood sheets.

Oops moment:
    Built mantle case and added top-shelf, and most of the trim. Then when I went to fit it, the mantle just "squeaked" over the existing brick/mounting blocks! You could hear cracking and creaking of the glue seams! ItÂs fit within a few "thousandths of an inch". Whew!!

More photos as the job gets closer to being completed.

Glad to be be a new guy here!

Scott T

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

annaleef,

wow, your pictures were a real encouragement to me because i want to do something similar. we have a fieldstone fireplace with a 4" high fieldtone hearth in front of it. i want to remove the hearth all together and replace it with a slab of soapstone that's flush with the wood floor. and i want to either remove the fieldstone around the fireplace or cover it up. you've inspired me to cover it up and somehow put soapstone over it. all this because we have a Tulikivi, a 7' tall soapstone masonry heater in another part of the LR, and they clash. since the Tulikivi is our primary heat source, i thought making the old fireplace blend in more would be a good idea.

you have a really good design sense, btw! your rooms look very homey and well put-together. the ceramic pieces over the fireplace are a good placement.

debbie

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living