Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should it stay or go?

Posted by barbcollins (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 22:17

We recently purchased a foreclosure that and we are starting on the renovation. This is the 4th one we had done, so we are used to finding problems.

This house has a large fireplace, we no chimney. It had a electric log set in it. Our plans were to put in a vent free gas log, but we discovered some issues.

While pulling up the carpet, we discover there was more carpet under the the particle board subloor. So we knew that needed to all come up. But then we discovered that they built the fireplace on top of the particle board and carpet.

This section of the house is probably at least 150 years old. The floor joists are logs. In the cellar, they supported the floor under the fireplace with 6x6's etc. Shouldn't there be cinderblocks to support it?

They built the wall out about 18-24", so there is a lot of wasted space behind it. You can also see the back of the bricks, so there is nothing support them. Is that ok? Do they support each other?

My husband is worried about the weight of the bricks on the log joists. He also likes the idea of tearing it out, so we gain back the space. He was ready to start busting it out today, but I told him I wanted to sleep on it.

So if it was you, would it stay or go?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should it stay or go?

Here is a picture of behind the fireplace. They held the brick wall out to accommodate the firebox.

o

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination so this is just my opinion.

I'd tear that puppy out. Built on top of carpet topped particle board topped with carpet, uh no and no.
Plus since it had no chimney, how the heck was it vented?
Are you grooving on the style and look of the fireplace? Does it "go" with the house? Do you want to put more manpower in making it correct ?

Nah, I'm with your hubs, knock it down.

o

Hey deborah_ps,

Thanks, yes it's going bye bye.

No it does not "go" with the house. It is a modern brick in the original section of the house, which is a 150+ year old log cabin.

It wasn't vented because he built this monster for an electric fireplace.

I had a friend and expert look at the support system in the cellar and he says that part of it is fine, but of course the particle board/carpet was not.

We were thinking we would put in an unvented gas log. But we have decided that the square footage we will gain back is worth the effort of tearing it out.

More manpower would be nice, but we should be able to handle it.

o

I started on it today. A lot easier than it should be :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here