Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
first time stove purchase - quad 3100i

Posted by hdg13 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 21:11

so....i've been looking into wood stove inserts for about a year.

i've never owned one so the only stuff i know is from reading sites like this and looking at them in stores.

last week a used 3100i showed up on craigslist and i picked it up for $75.

it is showing some surface rust from sitting outside for a week & a couple bricks are cracked in the back (but not crumbled).

no blower.

who has one of these?

it appears to have a set of tubes running horizontally across the firebox. on top of these tubes is a ~1/2" thick, brick (fire box brick) like board with what appears to be fiberglass insulation (????) on top.

what is this stuff? it was the last thing i was expecting to see inside the stove. it appeared to be designed into the stove but i can't imagine it would not melt during a firing of the stove.

anyone know what i'm describing???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: first time stove purchase - quad 3100i

What you have is an EPA rated stove. The tube you see has holes in it so the air is never completely shut off. On the outside of the stove sould be small holes. Air enters the holes from the outside, enters the tube and works its magic on the fire. The stove doesn't get so hot it will melt the steel. It's a "secondary combustion chamber" that burns off smoke which is really unburned fuel (HEAT). And less smoke goes up the chimney.

That insulation isn't fiberglass but ceramic. It's called "Kaowool" and is indeed insulation. Don't discard it.

If you're going to install it into an existing fireplace you'll need a liner for the chimney. The stove needs a 6" flue to operate properly and most fireplaces have an 8" flue.

But if I were you I would have the stove inspected. Make sure all the parts of the stove are OK and there are no cracks in the stove itself. If the stove is steel they can be welded easily, and if the stove is cast iron you need to look for broken sections. Don't install it until you're sure all is in working order.

Also look online to see how big the stove is. Not dimensionally but how big an area it's intended to heat. If it's designed to heat 2,000 sq ft and you want to use it in the family room only, it's too big! You'll have open windows all winter. Or you'll have small fires that build up creosote. And that's a chimney fire waiting to happen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here