Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting a Limestone Fireplace

Posted by teddybcall (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 19:15

Hi, I would love to paint our limestone fireplace white but I am getting mixed messages from contractors. 1 said they can do it but 2 said you can't paint limestone that it will just flake off. Has anyone done this and if so can you share how it turned out and/or any pictures? I'm looking to paint ours white. It is currently cream with brown and gold. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting a Limestone Fireplace

Painting stone or brick of any type is a very bad idea. Both from an aesthetic viewpoint and a functional one. It takes a beautiful almost zero maintenence surface and turns it into a fake high maintenence one.

o
RE: Painting a Limestone Fireplace

In my opinion, you can easily paint your brick fireplace.
I had one old red brick fireplace and painted it using a fireplace paint kit and it looks awesome.

I did it myself, so, I just paid the money on the kit and not to a professional painter (who by the way gave me such an expensive offer!!!!) and I love the results.

If you want to do it, I found a lot of useful videos on how to do it on YouTube and also read a couple of articles about the topic and then, I just did it. I had some doubts at first because I had the same issue (my friends telling me that I'm crazy to paint my fireplace) but, hey, they said "congrats" afterwards, so...

Good luck! And if you do proceed with painting your fireplace, follow up with pics! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here