Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chimney Cover/Cap Copper or Stainless Steel?

Posted by f1668065 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 17:02

Coastal area of South Florida; new copper flashing at base of chimney & at roof to wall connection in front of house.

It's my understanding that copper should function best in coastal areas but will look ugly green sooner rather than later...and possibly lead to green water runoff.

I'm looking for function over beauty (just don't want it look bad or clash with copper flashing, which I'm seeking opinions on in Paint forum, whether or not to paint) in a cover/cap similar to the one in the pic along with a full chase cover plus 3" drip edge on bottom. FWIW: The damper works fine & closes inside the house.

That said, copper or stainless steel?

This post was edited by f1668065 on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 17:48

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chimney Cover/Cap Copper or Stainless Steel?

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I definitely wouldn't paint, unless your willing to take regular trips up a ladder to repaint. The zinc from the copper can leachate and for the price I would choose stainless.

o
RE: Chimney Cover/Cap Copper or Stainless Steel?

Thanks!
Ugly is as ugly does ;) The only thing I'm considering painting is the flashing (posted in Paint forum) not the chimney cover/cap.

My only concern is how do you think it will look with a stainless chimney cap and copper flashing at both the bottom of the chimney & also along the roof to wall connection in front of house?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here