Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Masonry fireplace

Posted by cavell (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 15:52

Mpls area. 20yr old townhouse development. 2 level. Walkout and 1 st floor. ALL the units have fireplaces. Masonary brick, firebox. Wood burning. I think all have firebox in lower level and none have main floor firebox so there is no exposed brick on main level. I am 98% sure none even uses these. Never smell wood smoke. I guess they are cute. But I think they are a waste of money. What would a new construction fireplace like this cost? 20k, 40k, more? Just wondering. Do folks even put these in new townhouses that are in the 200k price range?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Masonry fireplace

I'll bet the "fireplaces" are zero clearance units that cost the builder only about $1200 each. They provide a nice ambience when used, but they're really not for heat, and that's why you don't smell woodsmoke.

o

The exterior of our stone fireplace on the roof has some stones that have fallen off and need to be replaced. The problem is that there is a 3 inch gap between the fireplace frame and where the stones sit. Someone tried to put standard concrete to fill the gap in the past but it obviously didn't work. Any advice?

o

Our last house had zero clearance, Masonite exterior. Crap. ALL of the townhouses have full brick exterior, clay liners thru top of chimney so I assume they are actually Masonary. We have very nice Masonary surround and hearth, actual metal flue thingy. Never used it. The townhouse across the street ALL have the Masonite cexterior chimney stacks so I know they have zero car stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here