Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wall is hot

Posted by salbwil (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 14:22

Hi,
We have a declaration insert installed in an old heatilator type fireplace and this past winter I noticed that the wall above the fireplace was quite hot during burns. Is this normal ? We also have a great deal of cold air coming in between the stove and the hearth, almost a wind . Any suggestions here are most welcome and thank you.
Salbwil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wall is hot

I would have someone look at it before next winter. By hot, do you mean warm, or hot hot?

This may surprise some people but if the surrounding area gets too warm, over time the wood can dry out and a simple thing like a nail overheating can cause the wood to ignite.

The one thing that comes to my alleged mind is the insert rated for a zero clearance fireplace like the Heatilator?

o

The heatilator is installed into brick like a regular fireplace and had a regular clay flue . But in the years since the house was built, the flue collapsed and we then decided to put in the stove with its own corrugated flue all the way to the top of the chimney. The thing that troubles me is the mason that built the fireplace and chimney had problems with other jobs he did ( obviously this came out years later) . Also, is there a way to keep the cold air from coming into the room from between the stove bottom and the hearth .
Salbwil

o

Go to hearth.com

Those guys are experts in all things fireplace/stove related. Ask over there and you'll get the absolute facts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hearth.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here