Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a better way to prevent temper glass breaking

Posted by nosleep (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 13:30

My fireplace front has no door, just a big piece of temper glass (26" x 36" about 1/4" thick). There is no other outlet (not air tight, but no other openings). The temper glass shattered when the fireplace is used for a few hours, possibly due to heat. For safety (and cost) reason, I don't like to replace it with ceramic glass but I like some suggestion how to make it work with temper glass. Perhaps, leaving some opening instead of closing the front completely?

The glass frame has 2 metal taps for the left side and 2 metal taps for the right side. It holds the glass by folding the metal tap down to the glass same as a picture frame. See Link to the picture of the frame below . Note the bottom has a groove but the top has nothing for hold the glass.

I like some suggestions of how to attach 2 or 3 piece of temper glass (and leaving some gaps between each piece) instead of one big one. I have a feeling that may help to reduce the thermal shock for the temper glass (by making them smaller and having some gaps to allow heat in the fireplace out).

One idea is to make the temper glass shorter and leave the a few inches from the top open. I am also planning to not fold down the metal taps much to reduce the potential force from the metal taps (I think the heat is uneven on the glass and the frame due to distance from the open frame fire).

I have been thinking about this for sometime now and I don't have good solution. Thanks for your suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of the fireplace frame

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a better way to prevent temper glass breaking

Contact the manufacture before you do anything. This information can be found near the valve on a silver label. Quite sure they will advise you not to proceed down your current path of altering the product. The is a matter of safety for you and your family.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here