Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fake fireplace design ideas?

Posted by lazeelizard (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 8:55

Hi all,

We can't have a real fireplace in our home, so we want to build a fake one. I've seen a lot of nice ones, where people put candles or logs or even books and looks great, but I'm not sure how to go about designing this space.
The room is a bit a narrow (about 10'), so we don't want to lose too much space with this fake fireplace. And our TV (42" - so really 39"x24") has to go on top of it. The house is modern, so this would have to fit in with the decor. I attached a picture of one fireplace I like, but I think the TV Is mounted too high and I'm not sure we can do as much depth of the hole (you know what I mean :))

So here are my questions:

How deep should the "hole" be so that it's functional and I can still put something in it? I was thinking 9", but I'm not sure that's deep enough.

In relation to the TV, how big should the hole be?

How high can the TV go so that it's still ok to watch from the sofa? I often see people mounting their TV too high above a fireplace and it just seems uncomfortable to watch from a sitting position.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fake fireplace design ideas?

bump

o
RE: Fake fireplace design ideas?

You may want to post the dimensions of the room. That will tell you how high is too high to mount I think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here