Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lvmll

Stove using existing chimney

lvmll
18 years ago

Hi,

We just bought a house -and this is our first house ever! Before we lived in appartment and everything has been taking care of by lendlord, so, please, please! - forgive me if it sounds stupid - but - I know nothing about houses. The house we bought has an oil heating and I figured it has a chimney because of that. I am wondering - can I install a wood stove on a first floor right into existing chimney or I really need a separate chimney for this purpose? Our inspection revieled that 'oil' chimney needs a new lining - so figured while changing the lining we can install a stove - prices for oil in our area are insane and I heard having a wood stove during a winter really helps to do a liitle bit af savings.

Comments (6)

• Xanndra
    18 years ago

Two things cannot share the same chimney. Have a local woodstove shop go out to your home and give you an estimate.

• lvmll
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much, Xanndra! Can you give me just a rough idea how much it can be? I know it's very individual - but how much it can run? $400? $1000 $2000?

• Xanndra
    18 years ago

Uh, price for what?

• lvmll
    Original Author
    18 years ago

oh, so sorry. For installation of the wood stove :)

• housekeeping
    18 years ago

The cost would depend on the type of chimney you installed, whether it was double-walled metal or masonry, and where and how it exits your house.

BTW, since you're new to woodburning and it might be useful to know in the future, one of the reasons you can not have your oil burner and the woodstove connected to the same flue (although it could be in same chimney if you had two separate flues ) is the you might have leakage of the exhaust gases (these are poisonous to breathe) from one appliance out the other. The other reason is that woodstoves require an exhaust temp that is much higher than for an oil burner, so a former oil flue might not be safe to handle woodstove. It's not a matter of burning the woodstove at a lower temp, either, that wouldn't work for a variety of reasons. Even though they are both heating appliances, it's best to think of them as completely different things.

Another alternative for supplying additional economical heat is a pellet stove. We burn both wood and pellets (pellets are 'way easier!) as our only sources of heat. Chimney requirements for pellet stoves are often much easier to meet. Ours is a direct-vent model, so the exhaust goes straight out the wall, with a short extension outside the building. No need to go to the roof. This makes them cheaper to install.

We have a Harmon pellet stove which, I believe, was about $2500. We did the installation ourselves, but I expect it would have cost about $300-450 more. Pellets were $360 for the season.

• Xanndra
    18 years ago

You have three different components to deal with here:
    1. The cost of the stove you want
    2. The cost of the venting and hearth to install it properly
    3. The cost of the labor to install it

I am unclear as to what price you are asking about. Total package price including stove, venting & installation?
    How many stories in your home? How many sq. ft.?