Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
try_hard

Rain drops, wind noise in my chimney-free gas logs fp-how to fix?

try_hard
15 years ago

Hello! I just moved into a new construction house that has a gas logs fireplace but no chimney; there is just an exhaust pipe sticking out of the roof. When it rains, it sounds like large raindrops are coming into the exhaust pipe - and it's REALLY loud, like an old metal coffee can is catching drips from a leaky roof. I have not yet seen any water drip down into the fireplace, but I'm worried about where that water is going or how long it's sitting in the pipe and whether it will corrode the pipe.

Furthermore, when the wind blows, we hear it coming into the exhaust pipe and it's so loud we actually have to turn up the tv to hear it over the wind.

I called the local company that provided the fireplace and asked them about it and they told me there is a damper they can install (total cost about $200 for parts and labor) that will "help" but the employee didn't know how much it would help. I'm not convinced this is the solution to my problem.

Has anyone experienced this before? Do you know what I need to do about this? We have had alot of rain and wind here since moving in and I really want to correct these problems.

Here are the only pictures I can find from the construction phase that show the fireplace or the exhaust pipes:

Rear view:

Thank you,

Try_Hard

Comments (28)

• moose_2007
    15 years ago

Sorry try hard can't help you but I am interested in your set up, because your pics look exactly what my fireplace is like now(close to the floor, not raised up). Do you have any recent pics of how you have finished it off?

• try_hard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Moose, sorry for the delay in replying; I've been traveling and haven't had access to my pictures. Here are a few more pictures from construction and the finished space (the TV is not installed above the fireplace yet.)

Good luck with your setup,
    try_hard

• try_hard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And a few more from yesterday, after we hung the tv above the fireplace.

try_hard

• moose_2007
    15 years ago

Thanks for the pics! I was wondering what you were going to do in the way of a hearth as your unit was sitting right on the floor(like ours). I am ambivalent about adding one as I feel like it is going to take away floor space. Did you add it after the flooring or...hang on I see you put the flooring in afterwards. Great wall art above the mantel! We'll be putting in a similar print :)
    Have you solved your rain/wind dilemma yet? On the fireplace we have now I can hear the rain when it is raining heavily-I rather like the pinging sound. Don't have any trouble with the wind though.

• try_hard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, we have not solved the rain/wind dilemma. Our area has had record amounts of rain this year and I'm sooooo tired of the loud ping ping ping ping sound day and night.

try_hard

• try_hard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm bumping this back up to the top. The rainy season is approaching and I still don't have a solution to reduce the rain drops banging and wind howling noises we dealt with all Spring. It's SO loud. I'm hoping someone can help me...
    try_hard

• mccall
    15 years ago

Do you have a chimney cap on that pipe? and I am sure a damper would also help but you should have the cap. You never showed any pictures of the outside at the roof. Also did they use insulated pipe?

• try_hard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My builder tells me that I have a chimney cap and that if I didn't raindrops would fall into the fireplace. I don't know the answers to your other questions but I think I'm going to call a chimney sweep/technician out to look things over. I wouldn't know whether a damper is installed or if they used insulated pipe. I will be sure the chimney guy specifically looks into those items. Thank you!
    Try_Hard

• zaferus
    15 years ago

I just moved into a house over the summer and we have the same problem. Our builder isn't being very helpful about it but I'm wondering if something like this is the solution? See URL...

Here is a link that might be useful: Windbeater Chimney cap

• cheryl3700
    15 years ago

Hi, I just installed a pellet stove and ended up with this same problem. This is because the pipe runs all the way up. You are hearing the echoing of the rain drops hitting the cap. It sounds like someone is drumming on my stove!

We SOLVED by placing a cap over the cap!! Now the rain hits the outer cap which is NOT connected to the pipe, its connected to the bricks of the chimney and it's pouring buckets right now and I hear NOTHING! NICE!!

Happing fixing your PING PING!!

• msowa
    14 years ago

I have the exact same problem.....for ten years now. Did you ever find a solution. It's driving my wife nuts.

• ellessebee
    10 years ago

Me too! Same problem but it's not just rain! The chimney/flu amplifies all outside ambient noise! We live about a mile from a parkway. There is a a wooded hillside between us and the parkway. During rush hour we get a gently hum but inside the house it sounds like someone is using a leaf blower outside! I happened to remove the glass from the fireplace to clean it and with the glass off I could hear people talking - loud and clear - as if they were in the next room. I had thought this noise was coming from the boiler equipment but now I know it's from outside. The chimney is like an amplifier and woofer in one. We have a stainless chimney cap. Would it help to use some other material? We were supposed to have stone but the builder switched it - I think because it was too difficult to get stone up on our steep roof. Any and all suggestions very welcome as I can't stand the constant rumble! (Builder says to turn on the TV to mask the noise!)

• Jeanette Obri
    6 years ago

I have the same problem, raining now and all i can hear is dripping there isnt any rain coming down but each of my flues has the same problem, Yep driving me mad in my 2yr old home that seems to be falling apart, thats why Im on this site, wow, where else do we look, Signed desperate.

• Jeanette Obri
    6 years ago

OOPs mean my hand isnt wet when I place it into the flue so just the sound.

• ILoveRed
    6 years ago

We are building and have installed a wood burning fireplace with a gas log. We have no desire to burn wood. Neither my dh or myself wanted a masonry chimney because we had so much trouble with our last one and because of the pitch of our roof.

the roof pipe is pretty ugly but we decided we could live with it.

after reading this thread, now I'm wondering if I will live to regret it.

should I ask about a damper or another pipe cover?

does this look ok to the fp people on this site??

http://astria.us.com/products/georgian

thanks.

• rmseama
    3 years ago

did anyone get their issue solved? I am having the exact same problem now and whenever it rains the ping ping ping Is driving me crazy. Thank you!

• HU-517403334
    3 years ago

We built our house 4 years ago and we are still with the same problem. Last night, big storm and the rain drops was so loud couldn't sleep at all. We have a damper and the Isokern people came to see about a solution and never came back. I am now contacting my builder to see what can be done. It is crazy loud and very annoying. I agree, the sound is so amplified as it echoes I think through the chimney. As soon as I get some suggestions I will post them.

• rmseama
    3 years ago

Do you have an exposed chimney pipe? I was told that this common with open face vented chimney. I think the only thing that can be done is to build an actual chimney made from wood around it. Im waiting to hear back from my builder to see what can be done because I can’t stand it. And we just moved in to our new home. We didn’t get Any choice on how our chimney was going to be built. Please let me k ow what you find out and if I find out anything, I’ll let you know. Thank you!

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

Rain noise is barely perceptible in my non masonry pipe chimney. Certainly not annoying or loud enough to keep anyone awake. Does it have anything to do with your chimney cap? I would be tempted to have a fireplac/chimney company look at it. Maybe you need a different chimney cap.

• rmseama
    3 years ago

I’m not sure. They said they installed a high wind chimney cap.

• HU-517403334
    3 years ago

I had a few companies come in and did not have any answers. I am trying now a different one tha tcame today and said they will put a tile on the cap to muffle the noise. our roof is slate so they will use a slate tile. we'll see...

• Francine Jones
    3 years ago

I have the same proble. I had a guy come out and he said water was linking into the flute when it ran so he sealed the hole the water was getting through and it was ok for about two years and now it’s doing it again. I need him to come back out and this time use some flex seal

• HU-148010488
    3 years ago

ours doesn’t the same! most chimney sweep companies have no solution. I finally spoke with a receptionist of a fireplace company today who says people have reported using high heat silicone and duraboard on top of the cap to dampen the sound. She also suggested lifting the cap and having a highheat barrier installed (we have a chimney with metal cap.

• Patricia Taylor
    2 years ago

Same problem, will try this

• Glenn Blinckmann
    last year

@Rodney Smith, would you have a link to the product that you used?

• Rodney Smith
    last year

Glenn here is what i purchased. Sorry, just seen this email.

https://a.co/d/3llGxhc

• doripro
    10 months ago

I have the same problem in our new home. The builder sent over someone to put silicone on top of the metal top part. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this helps.