Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
remove 1st fl fireplace when 2nd fl shares chimney?

Posted by sonneblumen (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 1:09

Interested in putting an offer on a home, but it has an odd family room on the first floor that I would like to turn into a bedroom. The caveat is that this room contains a gigantic fireplace that shares a chimney with a fireplace which is on the second floor. What I'd like to do is entirely remove the fireplace on the 1st floor, but keep the one on the second floor and possibly add a woodstove or gas insert (ie. it could be in use someday).

All you experts out there: is this possible? If so, how? Also, is this something I can do myself, or would this be best left to professionals?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: remove 1st fl fireplace when 2nd fl shares chimney?

Cover the fireplace? Are you sure? Well, you could hide it or cover it over in a way that isn't permanent. Close the vent and try some design techniques that make the fireplace seemingly disappear. But without knowing your skill level, I'm not sure you want to try to get rid of the first floor fireplace yourself. If you really want to get completely rid of the fireplace, you'll have to look at how the fireplace ties into the structure of the home and then figure out how separate it from the second floor fireplace. I'm sure it would be quite a project, but get a hold of a contractor and ask for an initial consultation about it just so you can hear for yourself how difficult it might be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ventless Gel Fireplace

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here