Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solid black slate or solid black marble?

Posted by mkiv808 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 4, 09 at 0:42

I am having a new townhouse built, and the fireplace is something that is still open for me.

The interior is a standard, upscale townhouse look. Nothing too contemporary. The look I'm going for is transitional and modern, with a few traditional touches.

Standard is a matte black slate. Optional (about $500, I believe) is black polished marble/granite.

A few questions:

1. What's more "in" right now, something more basic like slate, or the shiny stuff?
2. As far as a value-add to the home, is it worth the extra $500 or so to go marble?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solid black slate or solid black marble?

Also, the link shows about what type of surround it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: example surround

o
RE: Solid black slate or solid black marble?

I think either will be "neutral" enough to please a prospective buyer some years from now. It would be almost impossible to predict whether or not the marble will be in fashion years from now and would therefore translate into higher resale value. Buy marble if YOU want it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here