Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
afigure

Simple modern wood burning insert

afigure
15 years ago

Hello. Does anyone know of any brands that offer a simple looking (preferably flush) wood insert? So far the ones I've seen are won't go with my home and/or are European brands. I am in the US.

Right now my current situation is I have a wood burning fireplace with one of those radiator pipe components inside with outside blower attached.

I am looking for something that will put out more heat but blend into my 50s home with my roman brick lanscape hearth. Most of the wood inserts offered would not work aesthetically.

Btw I have seen the thread posted a few years ago, basically asking the same thing. That's where I found out about Morso and Saey brands.

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• old-vt-crafter
    15 years ago

Are you looking for design or function?

You say you have a 50s house. Those houses were the height od non design. I know, I grew up in one. Are you looking for 50s modern? Or what?

There are plenty of great inserts out there. But are you willing to buy something from across the country and have no local dealer support? Who's gonna install it?

• afigure
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am looking for function without comprising much design though I know I will have to somewhat.

My house is called a 'California' ranch here in NY state. If it wasn't for the darn temps in the winter, I would love to just have an empty firebox with maybe just a chain curtain. But I am hoping to find a wood insert with simplicity that won't stand out.

So in other words, if I buy an insert I won't be able to find someone to install it? If that's the case I will need to find a dealer that carries something that will fit.

So far, some Morso inserts I saw online looked ok and I have found a dealer up the road that carries that brand. I am going to call tomorrow.

The reason this all came out was I had a level II inspection with the camera, which reported some cracking and was told I will need a stainless steel liner put in my chimney. I hope I am not being taken for a ride.

Can anyone think of any brands that carry simple looking wood inserts or stove with minimalist styling that won't be too hard to find at the local fp dealers?

So far Morso is my only lead. Thank you.

• nhyankee
    15 years ago

Have you looked at the Avalon Perfect Fit? That is a fairly large company which should have dealers in your area. It's a flush fit and matches most decor.

Other flush options but with fewer dealers are the Nestor Martin, (Belgian) IF or IT series. Evolution Trade Group who imports the Nestor Martin stoves also imports some of the Hwam line. The 10/50 and 10/60 are also flush but I don't know if they're available over here. Good luck.

Have you considered hearth mounting a stove? That would give you more heat as well as more design options.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avalon Perfect Fit

• afigure
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the names. I think I found something that will work although I am not sure it will fit in the opening I have. The Optifire by Wittus. Aesthetically I think it will work great in the style of home that I have.

Take a look. I found two dealers that will order and install it, although neither carries the Wittus brand. That that be a big mistake, would it be covered under the warranty still?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jerry_nj
    15 years ago

Take a look at Quadrafire, they have several insets with a wide range of "looks".

• old-vt-crafter
    15 years ago

Avalon is an excellent stove. I had one in my last house in PA and it was great. It was an insert.

Although I live in VT I bought my Regency from a stove shop in Argyle, NY near Saratoga.

And as far as the liner, you'll need a 6" chimney liner for the stove as it won't operate properly without one. Get the job done correctly and don't take any shortcuts.

Homeowner's shortcuts are a repairman's job security.

• sonny300
    15 years ago

the pacific energy "pacific model" is great value for the dollar. fits flush, and even without the blower running can still put out the heat. and yes, you really do need to install a stainless liner, preferably all the way to the top of the chimney. and you should have a minimum of 16" clearance in the US and 18" clearance in Canada in front of the hearth with non-combustible materials.

Do it right and it will be a money saver and you will be more comfortable with less dollars spent every year on fuel, and just as important you will become carbon neutral.

• abeau
    15 years ago

How much does the Optifire cost?

• Teri Mastroianni
    15 years ago

Here in central new york. I just replaced an old LOPI insert for a Buck insert.

• afigure
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went with the H530 available from Wittus.com
    So far so good, when the install is complete I will post a picture. For the person asking about the The optifire: it costs 3600 plus the cost of fan and liner plus installation costs. It could get quite pricey.

• sojay
    15 years ago

Are you happy with the H530?

I am thinking of getting the exact same one.
    Wittus quoted me roughly 3600 for the Optifire and I think 3050 for the H530 from Jydepejsen. These are both workhorses, and I don't think a fan should be neccessary.

I went to a local fireplace store and it's appalling the design of American fireplaces... In my old house I had installed an incredible Danish woodburning stove from Hwam. I miss it. High functionality, high design with simple lines that can fit any decor, and a large window so you really see the fire. I imported it myself, which is what I plan to do with my next one. (email me offline if anyone wants info on this)

They don't have the zero clearance unit yet, probably not till next year, so I'm trying to work out what to use as a heat barrier as I'm not putting it into an existing masonary fireplace, but I'm pulling out a flimsy gas log unit.

My local store didn't seem to have a problem with installing a unit I wouldn't be buying from them. They only carried the Quadrafire which looks I find horrible.

• bartelsjoshuac
    15 years ago

I paid roughly $3700 for my Optifire with the fan, plus another couple hundred for the chimney, $300 for the outside airkit. I have been really happy with it.