Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chillywind

Regency Excalibur EX90??

chillywind
13 years ago

Anyone have experience with this specific fireplace. After propane bills this past winter, I'm looking at having my prefab fireplace which is horribly inefficient replaced by a high efficient one.

I've had a few estimates at this point. Suggestions have been the Quadrafire 7100 (which seems likely to be a bit more than I need), a Brentwood (by Lennox, I think), a Lopi Elite 36 and now the Excalibur EX90. I've been able to find reviews for most fireplaces, but barely anything for the EX90. All I ever find for that is some advertisement text - "The new Excalibur Wood Fireplace takes home heating to an entirely new level". Good grief, that little advertising is everywhere. I'd like to know if anyone has had good or bad experiences with this model.

I have noticed that prices for units and installs seem to be continually increasing. Wow!!

Thanks for any input on this.

Comments (3)

• mitch_2010
    13 years ago

I would like to do the same! Have you any quotes for removing the Prefab and installing a EX90, chimney pipe and cap?

• christopherh
    13 years ago

Re: Excalibur,

That thing is big! It'll heat 2,000 sq feet. Is your home an "open" design? If not, it'll bake you.

Have you had a proferssional look at your home to determine what size stove (yes, it's really a stove) you need?

Stoves are not a case where bigger is better. In fact the opposite is true. You need a properly sized stove to suit your needs. If it's too small, you're cold. If it's too big, you'll have smaller fires, which builds up creosote, or you'll keep your windows open to let the heat out.

As an example, I live in a 1250 sq ft ranch style home in Vermont. Winters can have temps that can co to minus 30. I have a Regency F1100 woodstove as my primary heat source. It's the SMALL stove, and it does a very nice job. We have it in the corner in the living room and it heats the portion of the house that needs the most heat. The Living room, dining room, and kitchen. We have a small 4" sq doorway fan to move the warm air to the bedrooms.

We've had the stove for eight years now, and it does what it's supposed to do. Keep us warm, and provide comfort when the power goes out during a blizzard.

Regency also guarantees their products for life. As long as you own it, it's guaranteed. I had a problem with the door handle last year, so I called the shop where I purchased it, told them about my problem, and they sent out a new handle that day. Free. After seven years, it was still under warranty. Other than that, the stove has been trouble free.

Now, as far as prices.

Every stove shop will probably have different installation prices, and yes, the closer to autumn, the higher the installation price will be. Supply and demand. And a shop here in New England will definitely have a different price than a shop in Kansas City, so nobody can give an accurate quote for a complete installation online.

But the total cost of my F1100, complete with floor pad, and chimney installation was about $2,500. And it paid for itself in two years in oil savings.

• ebbs1939
    11 years ago

We had a Regency Excalibur installed in our new house. I like it warm so I thought that a stove that was capable of heating 2000 sf would be able to heat my 1500 sf home, no problem. Boy was I wrong. It is October in Vermont, with temps around 50 degrees and I am freezing! All doors have been shut so this is only trying to heat 1000 sf right now. I couldn't believe it so I have read the owner's manual front to back, twice. I also looked at the installation directions and compared them to the photos I took during construction, but I don't see anything amiss. I am calling my builder tomorrow and then maybe Regency. I wonder if this is a defective stove or just fraudulent information regarding heating capabilities. Oh did I mention that I paid for extra insulation and my house is 5 star energy rated and was blower tested. I was supposed to be able to heat this with a match.