Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remove Rock

Posted by mlessirard (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 08 at 19:46

We are buying a house with an exisitng rock wall fireplace that needs updating. Here are some pictures. Husband does not like rock wants to paint. I just want to take rock off and start over.

Do I take down and start over or plaster over existing surfac? Mantel needs updating and existing rough sawn cedar is embedded in rock. So when it's removed there will be gaps.

Question, it's seems like rock is not that deep and a veneer almost over drywall. That would be easier to remove? or is it hard. Thanks!

existing fireplace wall
Here are some details:
rock at firebox
Photobucket
-

I'd like to install a continous beefy mantel, with cultured stone below and finished plaster above.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remove Rock

Looks like fake 1/2 rock or real cut 1/2 rock, either way doesn't matter. It should be pretty easier to tear off, it is probably held to the wall by metal clips that are screwed to the studs and embedded in the mortar. Then hang new drywall, mud it and paint. I removed a similiar brick fireplace from my house and it was fairly easy, in fact the whole facade came off in one piece, but I could not lift it, I had to break it up to get it out. Look down to the Bodart & Gonay thread and there are a bunch of pictures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here