Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dassykee

Second best gas logs????

dassykee
15 years ago

(Posting here and "building a home".)

OK.... we are going for the Eiklor set in the great room...everyone seems to agree that they are the best.

We also need a set for the kitchen / keeping room. We still want a realistic burn and some warmth. It is a direct vent Vermont castings wood burning unit into which we will install logs. Don't want to break the budget with two Eiklors! What do you suggest?

TYIA.

Comments (3)

• SeattlePioneer
    15 years ago

I doubt that you have a direct vent wood stove. There isn't any such animal to the best of my knowledge.

Direct vent stoves are limited to gas stoves in which a pipe within a pie bring combustion air in from outdoors and the burned combustion gasses are vented outside through an inner pipe.

Furthermore, you can't safely convert a wood stove to gas logs. You can only convert a wood fireplace to gas logs.

I hope you have some equipment I'm not familiar with, and and expert who has told you this is safe to do.

What I would expect you to find if you read the owner's manual for your wood stove is that no option or directions are provided for installing gas logs, and a warning that the stove must be operated as specified in the manual.

Unless there are specific directions authorizing the installation of gas logs, don't do it. There are a variety of reasons why that is unsafe, beginning with explosive hazards and continuing with changed combustion which might profuce large amount of soot and carbon monoxide which could be a hazard.

• dassykee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Perhaps I am not using the correct lingo. We DO NOT have a wood stove. We will have a woodburning fire box made by Vermont Castings so we will not have to have the sealed glass front fireplace...I know it is not as energy efficient but we like to have the fireplace open. We will install gas logs in the box. I had hoped to get some recommendation on a good set that is not as expensive as the Eiklors.
    Thank you.

• SeattlePioneer
    15 years ago

Personally, I favored Peterson gas logs. They were of good quality and a number of different styles were of moderate cost.

Spending a lot of money on gas logs is not a good value, in my experience. No matter how fancy they may look when new, extra money doesn't pay off after they collect enough soot and have been in the fire a time.

Furthermore, when the flame is on, the eye is attracted to the flames, which are bright and not to the logs. The logs only attract the eye when the gas is off, and then the logs tend to get sooty and worn by the heat of the flames after a time.