Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace resurfacing - need advice

Posted by kellyh_2010 (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 17:14

Hello!
I searched through prior posts and there seems to be a lot of questions on this topic but most of the responses were so old the photos have been removed.

We would like to update/lighten the look of our fireplace. What we will do for sure: remove the bench, replace windows on the left - most likely to French Doors, install a gas insert. I would also like to add a chunky wood mantle like in the inspiration pics. There is a funky frosted window on the right now covered in newspaper as I was trying to see how much light we'd lose by closing it up.
Now the question - Has anyone stucco'd or cemented over cinder blocks like this? Or, the other idea is to cover the wall completely with wallboard or some time of wainscot/panelling/trim. I have attached two pictures that I like but would love any advice. Ideally, I'd like to demo the entire wall, center the fireplace and have windows on either side, but not sure it's worth the extra money. We will be replacing the furniture so it doesn't have to match that. I have also thought about just painting it white like many people do with bricks but being half the wall, it seems like such a heavy look.

http://photobucket.com/fireplace77

Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace resurfacing - need advice

I have a brick fireplace. The previous owner painted over it, and then stuck the ugliest stone on top of it. We want to resurface it and take the ugly stone off of it and expose the brick again.

Here is a link that might be useful: uniflame fireplace

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here