Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenna_2008

Need help chosing

jenna_2008
15 years ago

Hello all,

I have some questions about gas fireplaces and would LOVE help/advice on where to go from here. DH and I are looking to put a gas fire place in our bedroom which is 15X16ft (stupid big I know, I am not sure what I am going to do with all that space - I see the decorating forum in my future). Our home has a charming (I think) 1912 - arts and crafts bungalow(ish) vibe. We are adding a kitchen on the first floor and a Master bath/bedroom/closet (I feel so fancy)on the 2nd.

My # 1 priority for a gas fire is realism - we have a masonry fireplace in the LR and I want this to appear to be masonry as well. The companies we have looked at (in person) are

Mendota (great flame,burners,embers)Awesome that the ceramic logs actually glow!! who knew?

Xtrodinair- Loved the aesthetic of their logs when not on - logs looked the best to my eye - although they will never glow like mendota. clean face w/ a screen pushed flush - seemed the most realistic from the outside although the flame/embers not as "wow" as mendota

Valor - we saw the setup but not the flame- love that the glass is pushed back and the idea of staging andirons (I still call them fire dogs) and a frette (sp?). Clever but does it work?

Would very much appreciate any help/suggestions/experiences - I find myself intimidated by all the selections - not to mention the money - this is a big decision and I would appreciate all the help I can get.

Comments (3)

• fandlil
    15 years ago

We got a Jotul direct vent gas insert put into our prefab fireplace last year. We shopped around a lot before deciding. You might want to look at the Jotul fireplace also. But it might confuse you even more. We were told that the Mendota is "the best." It's also the costliest. We went with the Jotul because it has an excellent reputation and because my wife traveled on business to Norway many times and grew to trust their things. (We also have some Norwegian furniture.)

I do not know about the other brands you mentioned. A few words of general advice based on our experience:

(1) Make sure you have an installer who is experienced, preferably experienced in the item you have selected. I cannot stress this too much. You don't want somebody on a steep learning curve at your expense. That's what happened to us, and our installation is still incomplete after more than 6 months.

(2) Direct vent generates A LOT OF HEAT. It starts slowly, but after a while it feels like a blast furnace. Therefore, it is very important IMHO that you pay extra for the remote thermostat. That will shut the thing down before your bedroom feels like a sauna, and then turn it on again when the thermostat calls for heat.

(3) Make sure you get a system that has true direct vent technology. That will be the most energy efficient, and will protect the quality of your indoor air. This is especially important for units in the bedroom or other sleeping rooms. Unvented units are actually outlawed in some municipalities because they consume indoor oxygen and pose a safety hazard.

(4) Although we are very please with the performance of our Jotul insert, we are disappointed in that their 800 customer service # is really meant primarily for their dealers. So when you call with a question, you get a recorded message directing you to your dealer. I didn't like that, especially after I saw that our installer demonstrated a lack of knowledge about the unit.

Good luck with your decision.

• nziegler773
    15 years ago

We looked at the Xtrodinair as well. We liked the fact that it looked very much like a traditional fireplace, especially with the firescreen that is an accessory. There was a fair amount of blue flame at the bottom of the logs though and I am not sure if that was just the way that it was installed at the store or if that is standard. Did the one that you saw have this too? The blue flame made it seem much more like gas than a real wood fire to me.

• fandlil
    15 years ago

I think that whether the flame is blue or red or a combination can be controlled somewhat, but I'm not sure. I remember reading that in a kitchen stove a blue flame is optimal because it is hottest. But that's not what most people want in a fireplace flame. Ours is pretty red. I think that some conventional gas logs, especially the Eiklor brand, will give you a really dramatic dancing flame, but they don't have the special advantages of a direct vent system. The direct vent flames are somewhat subdued by comparison.

I would go to a dealer that has several direct vent units on display, so you can compare them. And by all means ask some detailed questions about the flame color (and height). A knowledgeable dealer should be able to answer these questions.

Happy hunting.