Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to keep birds off of chimney cap?

Posted by damutha (My Page) on
Thu, May 4, 06 at 10:48

So I confirmed this morning at 6 am that the jarringly loud vibrating sound coming from our gas fireplace is in fact a little winged creature who is apparently showing off to his buddies how much noise he can make. We have a "fake" chimney built up around the vent pipe for the fireplace, and there is a metal cap that covers the whole thing. The bird appears to be trying to drive a hole through this cap with his beak. I got rid of him this morning with a poorly aimed rock, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep varmints away permanently?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to keep birds off of chimney cap?

I have that problem too, and it's usually more than two birds, but I don't know. sorry

Here is a link that might be useful: Outdoor Fireplaces

o

Same problem here. He is marking his territory (trying to attract females and scare off other males). Metal makes a much louder sound than anything else they can find. If you decide to take extreme measures be forewarned that woodpeckers are a federally protected bird. In other words make sure nobody sees you waste him! I haven't had the heart to harm my pest yet. That may change as the summer comes and he starts pounding at about 5:45AM like he did last summer.

o

Yeah, they do that here too. Sometimes it seems they have a contest as to who can make the most noise between mine and my neighbor's chimney. But we just toss a few stones at them and they leave. It only lasts a short time anyway.

But I won't trade that sound for life in an urban or suburban area at any time!

o

they have these spikes you can put up there that wont let them have a place to land. They sell them at most hardware stores. Other then that, pellet gun?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here