Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vented Insert /Vent Free Logs ?

Posted by snickster (My Page) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 9:34

We have a new home and have a large vented firebox insert.
I wanted the realism of a real rustic rock open fireplace but using an insert. The finished product looks awesome .

However, now I am looking at logs and wondering if I can put vent free logs safely in this vented box and close the damper.
I've googled searched quite a bit on this and see no reference to it. I have read that you can use vent free logs in regular masonry type fireplace.

Does any one have the answer to this ? I don't want to burn down the place !

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vented Insert /Vent Free Logs ?

There are logs that you can install in an existing fireplace and that will work without a vent. But they are controversial, because they are considered unsafe. Consumer Reports on their website has an explanation, and it is (or was) available free. You should check with your local municipality to find out if the codes allow such an installation. Many do not, especially in a sleeping room because of the threat of asfixiation.

The optimal gas logs system is direct vent, which is sealed and does not affect indoor air quality and is highly energy efficient. Such systems are essentially a firebox installed inside your existing firebox, and they are costly, at least $2K.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here