Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cracked Flu Gas Fireplace

Posted by elcid99 (My Page) on
Mon, May 10, 10 at 9:02

I purchased a house where one of the fireplaces wood burning fireplaces was converted to gas. I noticed the top flu tile is severely cracked and I'm assuming there are other cracked tiles. Since it's not a wood burning fireplace, what are the risks of using this fireplace, CO2? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cracked Flu Gas Fireplace

I'm confused. The flue, as I understand it, is the damper that closes off the vent that goes up the chimney. It is typically made of metal, probably cast iron.

If yours is made of tiles and has a cracked tile, the problem would be that, when you want to close off the chimney, when you do not use the fireplace, you cannot close it off all together. In cold weather, you would feel a draft, and you would be losing heat. That would be as bad as having a door that does not seal properly. Similarly, in warm weather, you would be losing air conditioned air, if you have air conditioning.

Do I understand you correctly?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here